C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 Corvette WILL NOT LOWER

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 06:07 PM
LucasMc22
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Corvette WILL NOT LOWER

Hello all,
I am wondering if any of you could offer me any suggestions. I posted here a while back about my car not going much lower than stock height after shaving the spring pads down and shaving the spring end pads down as well. I recently took the spring out again, and besides just using the shaved down factory pads, this time I shaved all of the rubber off of the top of the spring and installed the lowering wedges from Mid America Motorworks. I used JB MarineWeld and glued them to the frame where the retainers sit, as I could not get all of the rubber residue off of the spring itself. Well, I put it all back together, and the car STILL does not sit any lower. I have driven the car about 300 miles since taking everything apart and the height has not changed at all. Can anyone offer any advice to rectify this??? I really want my car to be lower than stock height in the front, and after doing this twice, I'm fairly irritated.

The car is a 1986 with a 1984 Z51 Front spring. As previously stated, I am using the MAM lowering wedges, shaved down spring end pads, modified '88-'96 aluminum retainers, and no shims between the retainer and the frame. I also did not have to take off either of the lower control arms, so that should not be an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would really like to rectify this situation. Thanks!!

Lucas

Last edited by LucasMc22; 08-30-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:56 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Ya, been there..

My front issue was the front upper and lower control arm bushings, rubber, and old and need replacing.

You can install poly bushing (many makers) or Del-a-lums 9front only) from Global West. Here's a link, be sure to select to correct year. These are great

https://www.globalwest.net/1012.html

Mine in the rear wasn't as bad as the front. The Dog Bones were my issue. I Fab'd my own, but there are several makers.

Good luck,

Michael..
Old 09-02-2019, 08:29 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

X2 on the bushings.

Did you lower the rear of the car too?
Old 09-10-2019, 04:53 PM
LucasMc22
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't reply earlier.
My bushings don't look horrible, maybe a little bit of cracking but not completely shot. Still think that could be the issue? I'm out of ideas honestly.
Yes, the rear of the car is lowered. It is currently not as low as it could be due to the fact that I want it to match the front. Bushings don't look terrible in the rear either.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:52 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Replace front and rear springs with FE1 springs and the car will sit lower. Or, just install coilovers and set the exact ride height you want. Bushings are not going to lower the ride height.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:27 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Did you tighten the control arms with the car level or jacked up?

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Corvette WILL NOT LOWER

Quick Reply: 1986 Corvette WILL NOT LOWER