C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 intake on an L98, but what cam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 08:10 AM
Tourmax
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default LT1 intake on an L98, but what cam?

I’m looking at altering an LT1 intake for the L98 in my 88 Vette. Car is, essentially, bone stock under the hood and has a 700r4. I’ve had ot for about a month.

But it looks like I’m going to have to loose the egr valve and exhaust port to drop the LT1 intake on the L98.

I have considered the small cap distributor and even altering the egr mounts to retain the valve, but I’m moving away from doing either of those things. I want to keep the large cap (hei) distributor.

I’d like to keep some egr function and I have read the LT4 didn’t have egr except for the cam overlap specs allowing some egr function via reversion.

The car is just a street cruiser. Not dragged, not tracked, just a fun sunny day convertible. The stock L98 does well enough, but I’d just like a “little more” under my right foot sometimes.

I also seem to have some type of disorder that prevents me from leaving anything stock for long....lol!

Any recommendations on a cam with good low end grunt and decent mpg on an LTx type setup yet maintain some egr function? Something that will work with the bottom end and 113 heads.

I’m not so much concerned on high rpm hp, I’m only shooting for around 300-350 hp at the most and just a little fun with a heavy foot now and then.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:58 AM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Old 09-09-2019, 02:01 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Tourmax
I’m looking at altering an LT1 intake for the L98 in my 88 Vette. Car is, essentially, bone stock under the hood and has a 700r4. I’ve had ot for about a month.

But it looks like I’m going to have to loose the egr valve and exhaust port to drop the LT1 intake on the L98.

I have considered the small cap distributor and even altering the egr mounts to retain the valve, but I’m moving away from doing either of those things. I want to keep the large cap (hei) distributor.

I’d like to keep some egr function and I have read the LT4 didn’t have egr except for the cam overlap specs allowing some egr function via reversion.

The car is just a street cruiser. Not dragged, not tracked, just a fun sunny day convertible. The stock L98 does well enough, but I’d just like a “little more” under my right foot sometimes.

I also seem to have some type of disorder that prevents me from leaving anything stock for long....lol!

Any recommendations on a cam with good low end grunt and decent mpg on an LTx type setup yet maintain some egr function? Something that will work with the bottom end and 113 heads.

I’m not so much concerned on high rpm hp, I’m only shooting for around 300-350 hp at the most and just a little fun with a heavy foot now and then.
Is smog, especially a "visual" test an issue?

With that intake manifold, your engine basically thinks it an LT engine, so any LT1 or LT4 cam should be a good choice

An Lt4 cam has sufficient overlap to negate the need for an EGR, so an EGR block off plate that could simplify your conversion.

Last edited by mtwoolford; 09-09-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:15 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

If you're willing to do a whole kit (lifters, valve springs, etc.) then the Comp Camps 260XFI would be a very interesting option. It has more lift and more aggressive ramps than a hot cam, and with less lift. So it might actually idle better, but I think it would make more power, especially in the mid range.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:49 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Based on what your goals are, I wouldn’t deal with the issues converting an LT1 manifold to accommodate an L98 engine. The L98 manifold is good enough for low and mid range grunt. Retrofitting that manifold involves more than drilling a hole for the distributor. You also gave the remote thermostat issues, etc. The cam suggested above might do what you want by itself. That’s me, but if you are ambitious enough, go for the conversion.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

The MiniRam and LT1 are so damn similar it's not worth the work unless you don't have the money but have the time.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (03-21-2023)
Old 09-11-2019, 08:57 AM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Don’t we all have that same disorder?
Old 09-11-2019, 01:03 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mlm0
The need for speed?

Or are you asking if we have the same distributor? No we do not... L98 - Small HEI, Large HEI. LT-1- Non-Vented Opti, Vented Opti.

Last edited by KyleF; 09-11-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:19 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Old 09-11-2019, 04:27 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I think it is called NTM (need to modify) I've been in corvette therapy for years. It must be working, I haven't modified anything in over a month. Of course I've been traveling for the last month with a travel trailer and without a Corvette.

I modified an LT4 intake many years ago for vortec heads when there weren't many options. I have used a hotcam for fifteen years. I've always been happy with it, plenty of low and midrange power and it quickly gets to my 6200 rpm rev limiter. It idles good at 750 rpm's and gets good highway milage. The only downside is not so good city mileage. There are so many cam choices available it is hard to choose one. You just have to decide which one fits your driving style.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:13 PM
thirdgen88
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I figured I might as well post this, from my previous [car] life:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/alte...onversion.html

I would definitely agree with the sentiment of going with a Miniram if possible. There used to be a guy that would do the LT1 intake conversions for Gen I SBC, I’m sure he probably doesn’t anymore. That was a fun project though.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 intake on an L98, but what cam?

Quick Reply: LT1 intake on an L98, but what cam?