C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

First post: Distributor in correct location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 08:59 AM
Swilliam85
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post: Distributor in correct location?

Hello all, first post,

My son and I purchased a 1985 Corvette ($1500)and our first order is to give it a tune up. When we first gave it a test run there was a rich fuel smell and the previous owner said be careful about flooding it. We drove it around and it seemed to be responsive yet definately in need of a tune up. Low and behold the day after aquiring it I noticed cylinder 6 spark plug wire was totally disconnected! I reattached it and when my son started it, he didnt have to give it gas and it started right up no more fuel smell.
So now that spark plugs, wires, rotor and distributor cap have been purchased, plus a few how to videos (I have done a very successful tune up on the 350 in my 99 Suburban but knew that the Corvette would be a little different)we got to work. When we removed the distributor cover I noticed that the top of the cap and distributor seemed off from the videos I watched. I have included two pics to show the almost 22.5 degree difference, also makes the wires to the battery a little harder to get to. Since it was running fine, I really dont want to change that position, any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

our situation

example of what is normal?
Old 04-28-2021, 09:29 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,452 Posts

you don’t have to change the position if it’s working.

do u have an old school timing light? double check its base timing is correct. should be 6dbtdc

you need to pull the electronic spark control wire to do the base timing test. its a single connector btwn the master cyl and distributor that pokes out of the harness in a convenient location for you to disconnect.

be very very very gentle with your connectors.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:32 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 810 Likes on 558 Posts

I just finished putting new wires on my ‘86 L 98 and they are positioned same as yours. The big issue sometimes is crossfiring between #5 and 7 so follow the diagrams and don’ t let them touch. As said above your order is correct just route wires correctlt. #2 and 3 go around the front. Have fun with the new toy and for that price you can’t go wrong.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:26 PM
Swilliam85
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys, been busy so we not only had to complete the tune up, but had to replace the Alternator and battery. She fires right up and and an excellent surprise is that the reason we got this 85 for $1500 besides being rough around the edges is that the digital dash was said to be not working, the dash does light up now but cant be read with the naked eye, however with polorized sunglass, RPMs, speed, temp, voltage etc can all be read. Now for a dash refurb kit and to changing out the lifebloods.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:53 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Swilliam85
Thanks for the replys, been busy so we not only had to complete the tune up, but had to replace the Alternator and battery. She fires right up and and an excellent surprise is that the reason we got this 85 for $1500 besides being rough around the edges is that the digital dash was said to be not working, the dash does light up now but cant be read with the naked eye, however with polorized sunglass, RPMs, speed, temp, voltage etc can all be read. Now for a dash refurb kit and to changing out the lifebloods.
Send it to Batee.com. Had mine done and it looks and works like new.
The following users liked this post:
Swilliam85 (05-07-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To First post: Distributor in correct location?

Quick Reply: First post: Distributor in correct location?