C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Procharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 01:10 AM
corvted
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Default C4 Procharger Install

So as previously mention in my other post in General Discussions I'm moving this part of the upgrade on my vette to the performance section. Last Friday I received my supercharger and was excited as hell.

Fed Ex driver and I ended up talking a bit before I move the box to the garage. He was jazz to hear I was installing the supercharger in a C4. I was surprise that the box didn’t really have any damage like I use of getting packages.

Name:  b1K54xF.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  75.3 KB

As soon as I opened to Procharger box I went straight for the throat of the supercharger package. Procharger take care and wrap the product well.

Name:  WbesF5Z.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  100.3 KB

Name:  3WKgx5i.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  67.1 KB

To my surprise as I pulled out the supercharger it was the satin finish unit not the polish unit I ordered.

Name:  YpW4R2x.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  193.5 KB

I stop the unpacking and called the sales rep where I paid for the Procharger. Apparently, the sales rep was the one who made the mistake not Procharger.

Now I’m packing up the supercharger and bracket to send back to Procharger to correct the issue. Looking at 3 to 4 weeks more before I’ll get a polish unit and bracket back. Can't really complain both parties are making things right.

Any other time I probably would have been pissed however, I’m still going through physical therapy due to the back surgery. It will give me more time to focus on my recovery.

Anyway I continued on with the inventory of all the parts which was fun for the next couple of hours. A lot is going on here with this kit and everything is well made. Procharger has a very complete kit they missed nothing and I’m very impressed by the quality of the product.

Name:  0cslV7s.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  89.4 KB

Me and my kid can still start the project and/or work around the supercharger. At least I can take my time installing till I get back the supercharger back. I also have other things on the vette that I intent to work on.

I also decided to film the install on my YouTube channel since I can’t find nothing on YouTube on a supercharger install for a C4.

I did a test run and started my 1st video on it. Now try not to beat on me too bad it has been quite some time since I done a video. LOL I’m still trying to get use to my camcorder and editor software again as well.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the updates for I am going to have a great time doing this upgrade.

Last edited by corvted; 05-17-2022 at 06:39 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by corvted:
Cornhusker (05-18-2022), JFranzoo (05-19-2023), KMS88Cal#16 (04-19-2022), rhandle (04-20-2022), TorchLT4 (04-19-2022), TrailerPark Hero (04-19-2022), yakmastermax (04-19-2022), zbo2 (04-19-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-19-2022, 09:15 AM
ZWILDZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts

What year is your Corvette ? Stock L98 or is it a stroker ?
Old 04-19-2022, 01:13 PM
corvted
Racer

Originally Posted by ZWILDZR1
What year is your Corvette ? Stock L98 or is it a stroker ?
1985 L98. For now it is a stock motor. I am contemplating building the motor either to a 355 or 383.

Not sure on the direction quite yet till I address a transmission issue which is next after the supercharger install. Unfortunately, the transmission I got for it a while back started developing a 3rd gear issue.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 09:00 PM
Mixednuttz
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 193 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

What are you planning to do for tuning once you get the Procharger installed?
Old 04-19-2022, 10:20 PM
corvted
Racer

Originally Posted by Mixednuttz
What are you planning to do for tuning once you get the Procharger installed?
At the moment the kit I ordered support the stock configuration so I'll be using what Procharger sent me. FMU and external fuel pump.

I also live in California and what comes with the 50 state legal kit I have to used to pass smog according to my smog guy I go too.

I am looking into a company back east called Dynamic EFI. You send them your ECM and they upgrade it, no more chip flashing with their add a board.

Haven't got that far yet though just focusing on the initial Procharger Kit for now. There is a lot of having to work around out here in California and really is a pain here.

The forum archive has several members that lived in California that have done the same exact set up and there were no complaints from any of them.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:40 AM
Furias15x
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

I hope your bank account is really full.. Hahahahaha! I will be watching with much interest.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:17 AM
ZWILDZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts

I would go with the 383 . I know the trend is to LS everything to death which you could certainly do . A super charged 383 would be pretty fun car .
The following 2 users liked this post by ZWILDZR1:
dizwiz24 (09-13-2022), yakmastermax (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 12:53 PM
corvted
Racer

Originally Posted by Furias15x
I hope your bank account is really full.. Hahahahaha! I will be watching with much interest.
Well I asked Procharger what they wanted for their $1000 supercharger? Procharger didn't think it was funny..LOL

Originally Posted by ZWILDZR1
I would go with the 383 . I know the trend is to LS everything to death which you could certainly do . A super charged 383 would be pretty fun car .
I hear you on the LS swap. Nothing wrong with a built motor to boot. 383 would be ideal if I didn't live in California however, it is not out of the question. I do have an engine build in mind, but I need to walk lightly in California and not end up with a car that can't be smog, hence 355 at the minimum to strengthen up the bottom end.

So if there is any members in California with a smog legal 383 build please chime in. I would love to hear about your set up.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:41 PM
corvted
Racer

Well as I anticipated it would be about a month before I received the 2nd supercharger. But it was well worth the wait.

Parts are still coming in and what I thought would be a straight forward install went out the door. You start looking at things and you tell yourself "well since I'm going be there I might as well do that". Hate when that happens.
Picked up an aluminum radiator and I just had to get more shine out of it so I did.

From this

to this

and this

Well since I have to swap to a CS130 alternator which is smaller than my stock one as per Procharger instructions, I figured I beef up the amp from 120 to 160 and add more bling to the pile.

Not really much work done with the exception of what was done to the radiator.

Still rethinking this project as to what else I need to do to it.

I'm still going through physical therapy and most likely won't get into the project that deep till it’s over. PT has been helping out quite a bit this time around. Maybe the thought of another surgery scared me straight. Lol I'm starting to get back some of my right side so I'm staying focus on that right now.

I'll keep posting parts as they come and as I decide what else I'll be doing to the vette.

That is it for now..

Last edited by corvted; 05-18-2022 at 11:43 AM.
KMS88Cal#16 (05-17-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 03:26 PM
MrBigDee
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Beautiful!
corvted (05-18-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 06:37 PM
corvted
Racer

So have been plugging away on removing engine parts and to paved the way for the supercharger install. Getting real close to start putting it all togerther. I think I'm good enough to start hammering on it like soon.

Has been disapointments with the back to get to this point however, I'm finally made peace and will just take the time to take care of me and the vette as I start to get deep into the project.

As for now here is as far as I have gotten:

Making way for the test fit of the new Rad

She is a tight fit but it is doable.

Passenger shot

Had to modify the Radiator housing to accommodate the new Radiator.

Although I hate cutting up stock parts no choice in the matter when you upgrade.

Here is were we stand on it. Having couple things done to the intake.

Since then I pulled off the power steering pump and in the process of pulling the water pump to swap for a high volume water pump. Pump, radiator, 180 thermostat and a 185 to 200 Degree Cooling Fan Thermostat Switch should work on keeping her cool enough in the brutal summer heat I live in.

Think for now I'll hold of off around the engine bay till I get my intake back in.

My oil pan gasket is in so I'll be pulling the oil pan and modify the new supercharger oil drain return.

Also appears that my front main seal could be lightly seeping and will have to replace while I'm there. These little jobs are going to add up time but I have to deal with it now. The vette has been sitting to long to just overlook this kind of stuff.

Hopefully will have more productive pics of the install next round.

puufgone (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 12:39 AM
iceman2003
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts

Keep going it will be well worth it. Thank you...
corvted (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 03:00 PM
MrBigDee
Racer

Looks great ... I did it myself the same year ago
corvted (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 06:37 PM
corvted
Racer

Originally Posted by iceman2003
Keep going it will be well worth it. Thank you...
Thanks sir, its non stop for sure..

Originally Posted by MrBigDee
Looks great ... I did it myself the same year ago
Wow, I just noticed your thread and you have a lot of work already into your vette. My hats off to you sir!

On a good note the Summit Racing aluminum high flow water pump is in...

Old 06-15-2022, 07:21 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Years ago I had a P600b on my 383. Super fun to drive but didn't last that long. I popped the head gasket between 1 & 3 and melted the head. I think a better tune and lower cr would have helped but it was a expensive mistake at the time. Good luck with your build.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:15 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Nice project. Keep going!
corvted (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 10:36 PM
corvted
Racer

Originally Posted by Snakecharmer383
Years ago I had a P600b on my 383. Super fun to drive but didn't last that long. I popped the head gasket between 1 & 3 and melted the head. I think a better tune and lower cr would have helped but it was a expensive mistake at the time. Good luck with your build.
Thanks, sorry to here that. I keeping it on the conservative side but, we know how things can change at any given moment.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Procharger Install

Old 07-16-2022, 04:00 PM
corvted
Racer

Man, this whole thing has been a little tough with all the setbacks I have been experiencing. To back order parts, finding stock parts that I have broke or broke prior, recieving the wrong supercharger and having to wait another month to get the right one. Not to mention being physically not able to withstand prolong periods taking this thing apart due to that back surgery.

With all that behind me now I'm F'k really to rock and roll on this project. I'm still not !00% yet however, I'm doing good at 90%. The 10% will come.

I finally got all the parts needed to move forward with the project.

Here are the last few pieces:

I had my intake powder coated. It was done by Chicago_Motorsport who is a seller on ebay. Powder coating our Corvette intake is what he does.. Great guy and he work with me on the setback I had.

The setback was 1 of the runners were damaged in shipping. 2 dents in 1 tube that were nice size with 1 dent creased.. Powder coater advised me that the powder coat would hold up and if it didn't send it back to him to recoat at no charge. That's great service however, he was right. I did the water in the tube trick and froze it. With the powder coat on the tube, it was a slow process. I then fill up the tube with hot water to soften up the aluminum. Instant results. A couple of more times in the freezer and took both dent away. The hot water did the trick. Unfortunately, I did not do a before picture.

And the last piece to get started was my aluminum valve covers.

Valve covers are from Corvette Central.

As much as I like to keep the stock parts when I can, I was never a fan of the stock valve covers. In addition, I want the engine bay to have a good balance of aluminum parts.

The valve covers was all I needed for this round to move forward with the procharger install. I still need more parts like gauges and better braking up front but isn't something I need right now.

The future photos' will be all about putting it all together.

Time to get this project off the runway.

Last edited by corvted; 07-16-2022 at 05:48 PM.
KMS88Cal#16 (07-16-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 03:22 PM
MrBigDee
Racer

I have this electrical boos gauge...working nice.

https://prosportgauges.com/collectio...al-boost-gauge
corvted (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 02:03 AM
corvted
Racer

Originally Posted by MrBigDee
I have this electrical boos gauge...working nice.

https://prosportgauges.com/collectio...al-boost-gauge

Thanks for the tip MrBigDee!

Quick Reply: C4 Procharger Install