C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How Did YOU Add Brake Cooling Ducts to Your C4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 11:10 AM
1Eyed Willie
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Default How Did YOU Add Brake Cooling Ducts to Your C4?

So, again another weakness has revealed itself on my 95 vette during track session...

Having gone to Carbotech XP12 pads (which don't break down and thereby retain more heat and transfer more heat into the rotors), I experience brake fade after around 10-15 minutes (about the time my semi-slicks get warm and ready to pounce).

This problem wasn't as pronounced as when I used softer pads that lasted around 5 to 6 20-minute sessions (probably because the heat went into the friction material that easily broke off. That would be another discussion on the friability of friction materials.) Anyway...

I would like to add brake cooling hoses to the front rotors, but there does not seem to be much room...Definitely not enough room for a 3" hose that I can see.

With front Coilovers, Ø13.4" C6 rotors, a Ø35mm swaybar, and 295/30r19 tires (that's 11.6" wide) there does not appear to be area to route a 3" hose. Maybe a 1.5" or 2", but I can't see how anything larger could fit inside the ID of the wheel.

Has anyone had success installing cooling ducts on a c4? I can't imagine it is impossible since they used to race these things.

If you have a pic of one done right or your own invention, I would love to see it so I can better understand how to approach this. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:41 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 376 Likes on 312 Posts

I've built them in a few different places and yes it's tough to fit. 3" was the best and I squish it into a oval so it can fit but full turn lock can still rub. Sometimes I used rtv to patch some areas the tire rubs through so not a difficult fix.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:49 PM
jonboy194
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i get it, and am with you on the need for cooling..but does it "have" to be a 3" duct...looking at an earlier post here, buddy ran 2" through the facia then up to 3" at the rotor, he stated it cooled just fine.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-routing.html

Old 09-08-2022, 09:06 PM
1Eyed Willie
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jonboy194
i get it, and am with you on the need for cooling..but does it "have" to be a 3" duct...looking at an earlier post here, buddy ran 2" through the facia then up to 3" at the rotor, he stated it cooled just fine.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-routing.html
I'm about ready to just use a vacuum cleaner hose with a funnel. Hahaha
Old 09-09-2022, 09:45 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 376 Likes on 312 Posts

You can try different sizes sure the best will depend on a lot of things. I found 3" to give the most consistent pedal feel.
The following users liked this post:
1Eyed Willie (09-09-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To How Did YOU Add Brake Cooling Ducts to Your C4?

Quick Reply: How Did YOU Add Brake Cooling Ducts to Your C4?