C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

93 no heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 11:44 AM
JT1911
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 93 no heat

Hello everyone. I've searched and found a bunch of threads unfortunately it looks like most no longer have images hosted and the ones I found with pictures all involve the digital hvac control.

Fast facts:
  • 93 Vette - with the manual heat/air control not the digital 'set the temperature' version.
  • Can direct airflow out any of the vents.
  • Can set blower to any speed.
  • AC works as designed.
  • When setting adjuster to heat there is a noticeable decrease in total air volume coming out of the vents - it just doesn't heat up.
  • No anti-freeze present in cab nor any anti-freeze smell.

I've read about checking the heater hoses but unfortunately I'm not familiar with the hoses in a vette and I haven't been able to find a picture to indicate which hoses I should be checking. Every hose I touched was sufficiently hot that I would not want to grab hold after 5-10 minutes of idling. I understand their is a blend door that needs to be verified but I'm confused about where that is located. Any and all help is appreciated.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:54 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 184 Posts

Sorry, No hot air can equal a nightmare.
Rain/ fog no way to defrost. Cold climents. Just keep it home.
Stage 1 pull the PS seat. C4's are very compact/ constricted. Could even test any phobias.
It's a tedious process. Not hard.

If you turn down the volume.
Sorry, a reference vid.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...tRKVIrtL_fRz-K
Old 09-30-2022, 12:42 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,600 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Remove the part circled in yellow, that will let you see if the blend door is moving freely.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:38 PM
JT1911
Advanced

Originally Posted by Patsgarage

Remove the part circled in yellow, that will let you see if the blend door is moving freely.
That part isn't there on mine.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:42 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JT1911
That part isn't there on mine.
Which part ? Post a picture of that area if you can.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:24 AM
JT1911
Advanced

Which part ? Post a picture of that area if you can.
I'll take a picture this evening. However, the two vertical looking ports in your yellow circle are not there on my vette. I marked up your photo for quick reference. That piece is relatively smooth. I'll get a picture of my vette this evening.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:33 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 198 Likes on 172 Posts

I'll take a picture this evening. However, the two vertical looking ports in your yellow circle are not there on my vette. I marked up your photo for quick reference. That piece is relatively smooth. I'll get a picture of my vette this evening.
That part that is circled in yellow is the blower module for the fan which is used in the C68 or automatic system. Its not there on a manual system cause the fan speeds are controlled a different way.
Don't know if there is a plate where the module would be so you can look in but probably not. So you are going to have to determine if the blend door is moving another way.
The heater hoses are the ones running under the surge tank and should be hot. They actually get hot before the larger radiator hoses get hot due to the thermostat being initially closed.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:55 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pcolt94
That part that is circled in yellow is the blower module for the fan which is used in the C68 or automatic system. Its not there on a manual system cause the fan speeds are controlled a different way.
Don't know if there is a plate where the module would be so you can look in but probably not. So you are going to have to determine if the blend door is moving another way.
The heater hoses are the ones running under the surge tank and should be hot. They actually get hot before the larger radiator hoses get hot due to the thermostat being initially closed.
I never knew that, then again I have never seen a later C4 with manual HVAC. Just goes to prove the old adage that you really do learn something new everyday.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:00 AM
JT1911
Advanced

I never knew that, then again I have never seen a later C4 with manual HVAC. Just goes to prove the old adage that you really do learn something new everyday.
Turns out I'm blind there is a plate there. Popped it open and I verified the blend door IS​​​​​ moving as expected. I also verified both of the big hoses are getting hot. Coolant level is good. What do I check next?

Thanks for the ongoing assistance everyone.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:09 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Turns out I'm blind there is a plate there. Popped it open and I verified the blend door IS​​​​​ moving as expected. I also verified both of the big hoses are getting hot. Coolant level is good. What do I check next?

Thanks for the ongoing assistance everyone.
Damn, I was betting that would be your issue. If you have access to an IR temperature gun I would check how hot the heater core is getting just to rule out a circulation issue. The decrease in airflow is weird, maybe someone has an idea on that.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:08 PM
JT1911
Advanced

Anyone have any ideas? I've got an IR thermometer on order. Anything else I can check?
Old 10-10-2022, 11:19 AM
JT1911
Advanced

I realized my hoses look different than in the picture above. So I moved the reservoir out of the way to look at the hoses coming out of the fire wall... Look what I found. A dirt bag dealer who disconnected and bypassed the heater core and sold the car in July.

So setting aside for the moment I'm going to sue him. My guess is this means the heater core is shot and needs replaced. I have found write ups for that but where can I find a diagram/writeup on how the hoses should be run to reconnect the heater core to the system (after I replace the core of course).
Old 10-10-2022, 09:04 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

That sucks. I don't know if you will have any luck with a lawsuit as the dealer will claim ignorance unless the heater was claimed to work.
A C4 is basically built around the heater core, so replacement is a PITA.
As far as the hose routing goes this may help.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:46 PM
JT1911
Advanced

As far as the hose routing goes this may help.
Thank you!

I don't know if you will have any luck with a lawsuit as the dealer will claim ignorance unless the heater was claimed to work.
I'm a lawyer this dealer can make whatever claims he wants it doesn't change the law nor his duty.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:37 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 198 Likes on 172 Posts

The problem with the heater core really has not been confirmed. It's assumed it's leaking, but it may just be plugged. Maybe it can be flushed put which would be nice.
I guess the only way to find out if it is leaking is to connect it up and watch for leaks which may not make some people happy going in that direction.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:37 AM
mjsusa1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
The problem with the heater core really has not been confirmed. It's assumed it's leaking, but it may just be plugged. Maybe it can be flushed put which would be nice.
I guess the only way to find out if it is leaking is to connect it up and watch for leaks which may not make some people happy going in that direction.
maybe try with low pressure air first instead ? ...

"Never tried it, but you can take a bike innertube, cut it so you now have a rubber tube with two open ends and a valve in the middle. Use hose clamps to attach the ends of the tube to the heater core pipes. Pump it up so it's nice and fat then leave it for several hours. If it's lost air, you have a leak. "

( https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1555209887 )
The following 2 users liked this post by mjsusa1:
CorvetteRules (10-12-2022), Tom400CFI (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 08:58 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,183 Likes on 2,324 Posts

That's a cool idea, that doesn't make a mess on the carpet.

Get notified of new replies

To 93 no heat

Quick Reply: 93 no heat