C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Service Ride Control help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 08:01 AM
MarkGM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Service Ride Control help

95 LT1 manual car.

After some spirited driving I shut the car down. On next startup the Service Ride Control Light came on. I've searched and read posts but did not see any on how to use the paper-clip method to diagnose the problem on a 95 and my FSM is on my laptop that is with the Geek Squad.

Can I diagnose with a paperclip, and if so would someone please post the instructions?

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:39 AM
MarkGM
Instructor

Found the procedure on YouTube. Crossed pins 3 and 4 and turned ignition to on. I get nothing but 12s, as follows:

- first series, three 12s
- then it just repeats 12s as long as i leave the key on. I get no other codes.

What gives?

Old 10-02-2022, 11:08 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 733 Likes on 683 Posts

A guess would be 1 of the actuators is getting hot, and sticking. During the 90s GM went to scan tool based diagnostics. You will likely need access to a gm scanner with correct cartridge to figure it out.
Corvette Action Center has information on ride control,
Old 10-02-2022, 11:54 AM
MarkGM
Instructor

Thanks and yes I know about the key being cycled 3 times. That did not occur. Also, the light is still on.

Would it help to clear the codes. If so, how do I do that?
Old 10-02-2022, 10:22 PM
MarkGM
Instructor

Tried both suggestions:

No code 23 after turning key six times, just the Service Ride Control light. After that I pulled codes and got eighteen 12 codes, and counting, just like before.

Tried the 3 seconds, 1 second, repeat process and SRC light disappeared until next startup, then it reappeared.

Gotta be something.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:53 PM
MarkGM
Instructor

Thanks IHBD. I'll check again tomorrow PM. Don't think I misread the code, but it is possible.

Also going to stop at a couple parts stores tomorrow to see if they have a Tech 1 or equivalent reader.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:54 PM
MarkGM
Instructor

None of the parts stores or my local shop has a reader for 1995 and back. There's a chance a friend from my slot car club can get his hands on a reader. Is 95 OBD 1 or 2? I get conflicting answers.

Ran errands today and the code came and went once, only to return on next startup. I did double check how I read the blinks and confirmed it is 12s, with no 21s. It reads:

-Blink 1x, blink 2x, repeats twice
-Blink 1x, blink 2x, repeats until I shut it off after 18 times.

Tried to read codes on the digital dash with the paperclip in lower left and top right slots on the connector but get no reading on the dash. What am I doing wrong?

Car still handles fine. Stay tuned.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:01 AM
MarkGM
Instructor

Switching settings didn't change anything. I did find out that the connector is OBD II and my shop should be able to read it for me later this week.

Stay tuned and thanks for the help.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:53 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 733 Likes on 683 Posts

Car is not obd2 the 16 pin connector indicates pcm is reflashed and doesn't use chips.
GM started reflashing during the early 90s as a cost cutting method. Recall and revised chips cost money and during the late eighties and early nineties there were lots of chip replacements. Reflashing also ended customers having to wait for replacement chips.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:36 AM
MarkGM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevova
Car is not obd2 the 16 pin connector indicates pcm is reflashed and doesn't use chips.
Yep, that's what i found out. But, the light now seems to come and go. I may have time tomorrow to pull the actuators and see what the gears look like. Maybe that's the problem.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:00 AM
MarkGM
Instructor

I have read that the FX3 takes a few moments to go through a check each time the engine is started and that is why it is usually one of the last lights to turn off on the DIC. However, I drove the car for 4 or 5 weeks before my current issue occurred. Here's what I determined last night:

If I turn the key to "On" but do not start the car for a second or two the SRC light comes on and goes out. Then, when I start the car the light does not come back on. I've gone through this process about 6 or 7 times so far and the light no longer comes on when I start the car. Not sure why it is, but I'm happy with the results.

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know if the problem comes back.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Ride Control help

Quick Reply: Service Ride Control help