C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My 1988 Corvette smokes very black

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 08:35 AM
Michel Neusy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 1988 Corvette smokes very black

My 1988 Corvette smokes very black, I made a capture with WINALDL and I don't understand anything about the registered table. Is there a good soul who can read the board to explain to me what is wrong? Thanks for any help
Attached Files
File Type: txt
20221222_192250_LOG.txt (51.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 12-24-2022, 11:52 AM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Michel Neusy
My 1988 Corvette smokes very black, I made a capture with WINALDL and I don't understand anything about the registered table. Is there a good soul who can read the board to explain to me what is wrong? Thanks for any help
This 88 C4 a project build.?
Currently, appears playing around with the ECU/ prom.
Major problem.
(1) "MALFFLG4:51 CAL Pack missing"

Hence. WINALDL txt attached.
More DTC codes than a math formula.

The following users liked this post:
Michel Neusy (12-26-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 12:27 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

On your other post you stated that you replaced the injectors with 24 lb ones, the 1988 used 22 lb, and that your fuel pressure was a little low.

Will this cause an issue ? That I don't know but if you are chasing an issue with a malfunctioning FPR and the wrong size injectors you could follow erroneous diagnostic paths.

Do you speak English or are you running everything through a translator, such as the one you posted earlier when you joined the forum.
Old 12-24-2022, 09:22 PM
stew86MCSS396
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

Have you tried doing the sniff check on the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose?
Not sure what's going on with your datalog...just know that the BLM/INT never move from 128 and the O2 volts start ~.800mv and climb closer to ~900mv. This tells me that the ECM never comes out of open loop which if your injectors are too big to begin with, the ECM is not making any adjustments to compensate. It's going to fuel based on feedback from the CTS.

Edit:Idk why I didn't think to look at your coolant temp sensor (CTS)...winALDL is reporting (assuming Fahrenheit as my other logs report as such) 13dF at the start of the log and after 5 minutes of run time gets up to 52dF. I would consider taking a ohms reading on the CTS.

Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 12-25-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2022, 05:51 PM
stew86MCSS396
Pro

...also you can forego the DVM and connect to winALDL (ignore that I have it on 1227747, yours should be on 1227165). Navigate to the sensor data tab. While there, check the error tab as well and report back with any codes.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:01 AM
Michel Neusy
Advanced

Originally Posted by drcook
On your other post you stated that you replaced the injectors with 24 lb ones, the 1988 used 22 lb, and that your fuel pressure was a little low.

Will this cause an issue ? That I don't know but if you are chasing an issue with a malfunctioning FPR and the wrong size injectors you could follow erroneous diagnostic paths.

Do you speak English or are you running everything through a translator, such as the one you posted earlier when you joined the forum.
I go through a translator, I rechecked the fuel pressure: 24psi, mounted a new lambda probe, mounted a 30Hz 5v circuit with a NE555 for the VAT and an operational amp for the data because if I had the signal with an oscilloscope but when I plugged in the test cable the data signal disappeared. Now I know how to read the signal.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:16 AM
Michel Neusy
Advanced

Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396
Have you tried doing the sniff check on the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose?
Not sure what's going on with your datalog...just know that the BLM/INT never move from 128 and the O2 volts start ~.800mv and climb closer to ~900mv. This tells me that the ECM never comes out of open loop which if your injectors are too big to begin with, the ECM is not making any adjustments to compensate. It's going to fuel based on feedback from the CTS.

Edit:Idk why I didn't think to look at your coolant temp sensor (CTS)...winALDL is reporting (assuming Fahrenheit as my other logs report as such) 13dF at the start of the log and after 5 minutes of run time gets up to 52dF. I would consider taking a ohms reading on the CTS.
What is CTS? The ecm is open loop I couldn't drive enough for it to go into closed loop, the car stopped before as all the spark plugs had gone completely black.Gasoline is at 23psi.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:25 AM
Michel Neusy
Advanced

Sorry I understood the CTS, it's the temperature sensor I guess. In Belgium we speak of CTN or CTP for a resistor with a negative or positive temperature coefficient.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:38 AM
Michel Neusy
Advanced

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
Major problem.

It's not a project, I just replaced the crankshaft and a lot of other things like the injectors with 24 lbs but I thought the ECM would make up the difference, I also removed the EGR and the catalysts.I have a doubt about my ECM, is it possible that it is running in fault mode?
Old 12-26-2022, 11:00 AM
drcook
Safety Car

but I thought the ECM would make up the difference
The ECM needs to know what size the injectors are so it can make its calculations. Here in the US shops like this

https://www.pcmofnc.com/

reprogram chips on the earlier C4 Corvettes for when you change things that the ECM needs to know about. As long as the crankshaft is the same stroke, that is not something that would affect the ECM's calculations. Different size injectors does. It is trying to fuel the car based on 22 lbs, so the 24 lb ones inject more fuel causing the fuel mixture to be rich. Bigger ones would cause more issues of course. Also if your fuel pressure is not what GM programmed the ECM to expect, it is seeing feedback from the O2 sensor and trying to adjust the mixture based on what it was programmed with originally.
Old 12-26-2022, 12:24 PM
Michel Neusy
Advanced

Major problem.

Major problem. (1) "MALFFLG4:51 CAL Pack missing" With a fault like that I think my ECM is screwed. At RockAuto they have just returned a CARDONE 776571 programable ECM which is suitable for my car with shipping and customs costs it will cost me 220€ is this a good idea? Did I understand everything correctly? Knowing that I will have to find a custom program to put in and that I have lost the address of someone who made the custom program?
Old 12-26-2022, 01:44 PM
drcook
Safety Car

This is where I found that the stock size was 22 lbs.

https://tech.corvettecentral.com/201...lection-guide/

Did you make sure that the main wiring harness was plugged in correctly and that the replaceable chips in the ECM are pressed down firmly ? If you open the ECM housing make sure that you touch something metal (such as a bracket on the engine) to discharge any static electricity in your body.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:45 PM
stew86MCSS396
Pro

Major problem. (1) "MALFFLG4:51 CAL Pack missing" With a fault like that I think my ECM is screwed. At RockAuto they have just returned a CARDONE 776571 programable ECM which is suitable for my car with shipping and customs costs it will cost me 220€ is this a good idea? Did I understand everything correctly? Knowing that I will have to find a custom program to put in and that I have lost the address of someone who made the custom program?
I believe that means nothing. If you are opening the datalog with a text editor, the first 2 lines are the header for the parameters/sensors. Why it wraps around to second line is beyond me. "MALFFLG4:51 CAL Pack missing" is nothing more than a header and the corresponding data column is reporting all zeroes. At the start of the 3rd line, this is where the data starts and unfortunately it doesn't line up well with the header.

As I've mentioned before about the coolant temperature sensor, can you verify if winALDL is using Fahrenheit or Centigrade? On one of my screenshots, it will show you both. If it indeed is using Fahrenheit, then 13*-52*F is probably too cold for your region and I would suspect a faulty coolant temperature sensor. This alone could be preventing the ECM to go into closed loop. The only other flags I see are relating to running rich.

Another noteworthy item is idle air control and throttle position appear to be high but high iac maybe normal on a cold engine.

Edit: Found out if you save the txt document as an xls. It is much more readable!!! Ignore the RAW data as none of it is converted to sensible data. Helps when you read JoBy’s notes.
I go through a translator, I rechecked the fuel pressure: 24psi, mounted a new lambda probe, mounted a 30Hz 5v circuit with a NE555 for the VAT and an operational amp for the data because if I had the signal with an oscilloscope but when I plugged in the test cable the data signal disappeared. Now I know how to read the signal.
That's weird in your other thread you had 40 psi but now you have 24psi or did you mean you have 24 lb /hr injectors. If you're only getting 24psi and the rich condition persist, I'd suspect the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm leaking fuel into the intake plenum.

Last edited by stew86MCSS396; 12-27-2022 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 04:54 AM
Michel Neusy
Advanced

This is where I found that the stock size was 22 lbs.

https://tech.corvettecentral.com/201...lection-guide/

Did you make sure that the main wiring harness was plugged in correctly and that the replaceable chips in the ECM are pressed down firmly ? If you open the ECM housing make sure that you touch something metal (such as a bracket on the engine) to discharge any static electricity in your body.
Yes for everything, I am an electronics engineer and I know the necessary precautions. I mounted 24Lbs because I couldn't find 22Lbs and I thought the ECM was going to compensate with the lambda sensor. I opened the ECM because the data signal from it was visible with an oscilloscope but disappeared when I plugged the pc cable into the ALDL socket. I followed the signal to the chip that generated it and I had the same phenomenon. I then made an assembly with an operational amp which picks up the signal (ghost) and outputs it at 5V with a very low impedance and no longer disappears when I plug in my pc, it is thanks to this assembly that I was able read the data signal from the ECM. The output of this chip is surely KO and only sends a high impedance capacitive signal.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:03 AM
Michel Neusy
Advanced

Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396
I believe that means nothing. If you are opening the datalog with a text editor, the first 2 lines are the header for the parameters/sensors. Why it wraps around to second line is beyond me. "MALFFLG4:51 CAL Pack missing" is nothing more than a header and the corresponding data column is reporting all zeroes. At the start of the 3rd line, this is where the data starts and unfortunately it doesn't line up well with the header.

As I've mentioned before about the coolant temperature sensor, can you verify if winALDL is using Fahrenheit or Centigrade? On one of my screenshots, it will show you both. If it indeed is using Fahrenheit, then 13*-52*F is probably too cold for your region and I would suspect a faulty coolant temperature sensor. This alone could be preventing the ECM to go into closed loop. The only other flags I see are relating to running rich.

Another noteworthy item is idle air control and throttle position appear to be high but high iac maybe normal on a cold engine.

Edit: Found out if you save the txt document as an xls. It is much more readable!!! Ignore the RAW data as none of it is converted to sensible data. Helps when you read JoBy’s notes.

That's weird in your other thread you had 40 psi but now you have 24psi or did you mean you have 24 lb /hr injectors. If you're only getting 24psi and the rich condition persist, I'd suspect the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm leaking fuel into the intake plenum.
I'm going to connect my PC to the car I do another measurement and I check the pressure regulator
Old 12-27-2022, 08:10 AM
drcook
Safety Car

I mounted 24Lbs because I couldn't find 22Lbs and I thought the ECM was going to compensate with the lambda sensor.
It's trying to correct using a programmed formula with an incorrect value in one of the constants.
Michel Neusy (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 12:48 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

It's trying to correct using a programmed formula with an incorrect value in one of the constants.
This statement is a fact. 22lbs VS 24lbs
Or any other size injectors.
You can kinda, cheat. If you have an adjustable regulator.
System working perfect.!
Remove a few pounds to compensate injector difference. Not recommended. Pulse, and related info almost guaranteed different.

OE injector parameters are locked into the PROM. You are forced to pull the prom and update the constants table.
At this point.
Near same price. a tune. will net you 40HP. Night and day difference in performance, efficiency, response, MPG.
Michel Neusy (12-27-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To My 1988 Corvette smokes very black

Old 12-27-2022, 01:18 PM
Michel Neusy
Advanced

I just found on the net that the 0280 150 943 injectors that I was sold for 24 lbs only do 18.25 lbs/h! How come the car smokes very black with undersized injectors? I'm thinking of replacing them again (mounted in July 2023) Do you know a place to have them not too expensive but with 4 holes and not 1 like the original?
Old 12-27-2022, 01:26 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

I just found on the net that the 0280 150 943 injectors that I was sold for 24 lbs only do 18.25 lbs/h! How come the car smokes very black with undersized injectors? I'm thinking of replacing them again (mounted in July 2023) Do you know a place to have them not too expensive but with 4 holes and not 1 like the original?
Voluminous codes stored in the ECU. Sampled from your posted. WINALDL.
Your system needs to be perfect before. All else.
You have multi posts. I believe 1 post. You provided 40lbs. pressure at rails. Another post. 24 is in question. 24lbs injectors VS pressure at rail.

Old 12-28-2022, 06:35 AM
Michel Neusy
Advanced

Voluminous codes stored in the ECU. Sampled from your posted. WINALDL.
Your system needs to be perfect before. All else.
You have multi posts. I believe 1 post. You provided 40lbs. pressure at rails. Another post. 24 is in question. 24lbs injectors VS pressure at rail.
Excuse me, I got a little confused, I had so many problems with the car, I even wrote that I had replaced my injectors in 2023 while we are still in 2022...and the Google translator does not does not always facilitate a good understanding of your messages in addition to US/Metric conversions. I take things from the start. In July 2022 I replaced my injectors because there was at least 1 leaking and hot starting was difficult with the plenum full of gasoline while when cold the engine started at 1/8 of a turn. I ordered so called 24lbs/h 14ohm injectors on Ebay and after putting everything back together, big black smoke in the street. I drove a little then the engine stopped, all black spark plugs. I cleaned the candles and went home. There I wanted to use WINALDL, I made 5 different interface cables and none worked, after I found that WINALDL did not work in 64 bits, I bought an old pc in 32 bits replaced the cells of battery installed the programs and none of my cables worked although i could see the data signal on the aldl socket. While looking I saw that the signal disappeared each time I plugged in one of my five cables, disappointed I bought a cable all made in the USA but still the same problem. I then leaned on the ECM and went up to the pin of the chip which gave the data: not easy on a 3-layer circuit I connected a resistor of 10kohms and more signal. I got around the problem with an op amp a 5v power supply and a converter to supply it with +5v and -5v. Bingo it worked and now WINALDL works perfectly! Yesterday I took measurements on the car I took the fuel pressure with a more precise device, +/-43psi when stopped and when the engine is running the pressure gauge needle swings very quickly between 41 and 43psi. I also resumed the data with WINALDL engine stopped and running but not for long because the smoke suffocated me.By doing this I noted the number of the injectors and found that it was ultimately 18.25 lbs / h I do not understand anything anymore!

1=antithef module
2=alim 12V/5V
3= op amp
4=+5v/-5v converter
5= 12V key on

Quick Reply: My 1988 Corvette smokes very black