C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help on 84 auto...

Old 01-15-2003, 06:34 PM
TK Projects
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on 84 auto...

Hi everyone, I've had several camaro's but this is my first vette. I love it.
Ok, just got an 84 corvette automatic. Here's the problems.

-When I drive down the freeway, the voltage reads around 12.5. If I turn on any electronics, (radio, headlights, turnsignals) the voltage will drop to like 11.5 and almost die. New battery and alternator, both were tested to be holding a charge and putting out a charge. So this means its a problem in the wiring between the battery and something electronic that is conected to everything, right? Can anyone narrow that down any or do I just have to bite the bullet and take it to the shop?

-Also, twice after driving for a bit, then stopping to get gas or something, when I went to start the car, the dash lights and everything came on, but no click or turning of the motor. Then if I wait like 15 minutes or so, it will start up again. Is that related to the low battery or you think i might need a new starter?

-Also, on a cold start, the car sits at 900rpm. After driving around town for a long time, it starts to fluxuate the idle at about 500-600 rpm. Once it just died on me. Do I just tighten the throttle cable to get it to sit a little higher or do I have to have it done at the shop in the computers?

-Does anyone know a lot about these cross-fire injection motors? Do you know if I just take off the intake manifold can it be switched out to a throttle body injection? I believe the motor in this car was a L38, what is the difference between this and an LT1 besides the throttle body injection and the crossfire injection?

-The guy I got it from says he installed a posi rearend. How can I tell if it is? When I jam on the pedal from a stop light, there is none-very little tire spin, but it seems like there is no power in the car at all. It seems like it revs up high, but the car doesnt go anywhere. If this was the tranny, wouldn't I smell something like when I had a clutch go out on the camaro? So could it be the posi rear end slowing the car down? Is there a way to wire in a way to turn it off?

-When I go to shut the car off, being used to my other cars, i sometimes give it a good rev before I turn the key off. In this car, if i accidently rev and shut it off, in about 8 seconds, a great bang! backfire comes out the tailpipe. It's a pretty cool trick, but what does it mean? Anything bad? If I don't rev and just shut it off, nothing happens.

-last one, i swear. Ok, he says there is a performance chip on there. If I am at a dead stop and am in "drive" and jam on the pedal, at WOT the first gear doesn't shift until 6,000rpm. Problem is the car starts boggin out at like 5,000rpm. The other gears after that are ok, they shift at a lower point. Any advice?

Thanks for any help I get you guys!!
Thanks again guys!!
Toby
:banghead:
Old 01-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help on 84 auto... (TK Projects)

Yes I have any 84 and I got it last February and I also live close to you.

Anyway I have the same problem, onetime I was reversing and I did something like going up and the engine turned off, this only happened to me once. Also when my vette gets warm, it does sometimes go around 600-700 rpm idle, I dont know the problem with that, maybe its just that the vacuum lines are plugged or something.

When your car does that pop when you turn it off, its called dieseling, we have a pickup that does the same thing, when We start it cold a blue smoke comes out the exhaust, that means the ring on one of the pistons is screwed up, For your problem it is not burning all the fuel, or its running rich, its probably real dirty under those heads.

TO solve my problems I will be changing the heads and bottom intake with high flow ones, then for the CF, well I will be keeping the setup, BUT I will use two 2bbl 400 something CFM TBINjectors. These TB's will support 450HP working together, so the fuel requirements will be okay.

The thing that surprised me was that the 84 engine use only 2 1bbl injectors that only flowed 255CFM each. and the intake was plugged up purpously so the engine wont make any power.

Also I think you have the opposite problem then me, my auto shift up like crazy when I leave it in D, it goes into 3rd gear I'd say around 30mph. So anyway the previous owner had installed a shift kit, pretty cool. Hope this helps :yesnod: :flag
Old 01-15-2003, 07:59 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Help on 84 auto... (Light84vette)

The crossfire is the L82 [edit[ L83!!!![/edit] ;) . There's a world of difference between the LT1 (if you mean the later motor), it's a completely different engine. LT1 = multipoint, dry flow injection, much more advanced than the dual TBI wetflow.

If you mean the old LT-1, there's a large difference there too. LT1 has healthy intake, cam, strong forged internals whereas the L83 has pathetic cam, cast crank, X-rods, 2 bolt mains and poor 462624 76cc thin casting smog heads. The onl decent things are the pistons, they're TRW 464664 L82 forged pistons w/ single valve relief.
http://www.crossfire.homeip.net is where you go for all cFI related questions.

Marck

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 5:01 AM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 08:43 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Help on 84 auto... (Twin_Turbo)

The crossfire is the L82.
Twinnie,......... L83.

RACE ON!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 05:48 AM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

-Does anyone know a lot about these cross-fire injection motors? Do you know if I just take off the intake manifold can it be switched out to a throttle body injection? I believe the motor in this car was a L38, what is the difference between this and an LT1 besides the throttle body injection and the crossfire injection?
http://www.crossfire.homeip.net:81/

-The guy I got it from says he installed a posi rearend. How can I tell if it is? When I jam on the pedal from a stop light, there is none-very little tire spin, but it seems like there is no power in the car at all. It seems like it revs up high, but the car doesnt go anywhere. If this was the tranny, wouldn't I smell something like when I had a clutch go out on the camaro? So could it be the posi rear end slowing the car down? Is there a way to wire in a way to turn it off?
You can't get one without it. All C4 rear ends have a POSI / Limited slip / whatever you call it. Lift both rear wheels off the ground and put the tranny i neutral. Manually turn one wheel and the other one should turn in the same direction. Put the tranny in park. Now it should be difficult to turn the wheel and the other one should rotate in the oposite diection. With a rear end without POSI is easy to turn the wheel in park too.

-last one, i swear. Ok, he says there is a performance chip on there. If I am at a dead stop and am in "drive" and jam on the pedal, at WOT the first gear doesn't shift until 6,000rpm. Problem is the car starts boggin out at like 5,000rpm. The other gears after that are ok, they shift at a lower point. Any advice?
The chip does not affect that. The problem is in the tranny. You might need to adjust the TV cable up at the trottle bracket. It might be a valve sticking in the tranny too.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:00 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Help on 84 auto... (CFI-EFI)

The crossfire is the L82.

Twinnie,......... L83.

RACE ON!!!
wohoooo major typo :D :bb :crazy:
Old 01-16-2003, 09:27 AM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 344 Posts

Default Re: Help on 84 auto... (Twin_Turbo)

The engine code is L-83

The combined cfm of the stock crossfire throttle bodies are 550 cfm, intake is about 560 cfm

Sounds to me like your vaccum lines or intake gaskets are going south. As far as no power when you stomp on it, welcome to the wonderfull world of crossfire. They simply don't have a lot of power factory. You can however make them have a lot of power. In fact if you swap out for x-ram intake you can stomp most stock tuned ports. As far as the heads they arent that bad. GM perfomance sells a ported version of the same heads. Don't get me wrong they desperatly need a good porting. I sold my old ones to a friend and he spend arroud $650 for 2.02 1.60 valves and had them fully ported and is making arround 400 hp at the fly with them (Desktop dyno). The stock L-83 was made to be a "clean" engine. It used way less gas them any carb and still has better mpg then the tuned ports.

Well thats my $0.02
Old 01-16-2003, 10:11 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

So you can understand the '84 animal...go to the crossfire forum...and get yourself some good vette manuals...and start reading...I have an '84 and am very happy with it.......more questions let me know....there are alot of us CFI guys out here.....and by the way welcome to the Elite Club/Forum.....
:smash: :thumbs:

[Modified by oldace84, 10:13 PM 1/16/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Help on 84 auto...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help on 84 auto...