C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hesitation Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 11:12 AM
Cornhusker
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Hesitation Issues

I reviewed my FSM & tried to do what I can without a scanner (which I’m looking to buy) on my 89 Corvette to resolve the hesitation I’m getting when I mash the gas pedal or even blip the throttle.

Throttle Cable:
I’d read once or twice about adjusting the throttle cable but my searches only turn up info on auto trans & nothing for s manual trans. So can it be adjusted or am I barking up the wrong tree?

IAC & TPS:
I did the process the other day but couldn’t do it with the distributor set timing unplugged as I couldn’t keep it running. I did my best guess on ISC but with out a scanner I could only guess at 450rpm off the dash tach. The TPS was kinda a cluster f’k as readings were jumping around with the new TPS i installed & the top hole buggered up which stripped the bolt. Ultimately I gave up
& reinstalled the OEM tps, set it to .54v & quit. In hind sight I did find s spot in the FSM which recommended the vehicle be at operating temperature & absolutely have distributor set timing disconnected, so it looks like I will need to do this again.

The Corvette had a better idle but still has a noticeable hesitation. Any further direction id very much appreciated!

Old 02-02-2024, 11:43 AM
dburgjohn
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 74 Posts

if computer getting bad readings from TPS there will be a lag in fuel adjustment. Sounds like that is likely here. Can you slowly give it pedal and not bog vs hitting hard and bogging down?
Old 02-02-2024, 12:29 PM
Cornhusker
Instructor

Originally Posted by dburgjohn
if computer getting bad readings from TPS there will be a lag in fuel adjustment. Sounds like that is likely here. Can you slowly give it pedal and not bog vs hitting hard and bogging down?
Yes, when I roll into the throttle I don’t get hesitation, just when I mash the pedal, which I often do.
Old 02-02-2024, 04:46 PM
Cornhusker
Instructor

Well this sucks. I went through the IAC adjustment process but cannot keep the car running with the distributor set timing plug disconnected. No matter how slowly or how many times I drop the rpm down, she wouldn’t stay running. Idle Rpm is a 9 (900) on the dash. I can play around with the idle screw when she’s running & raise or lower the rpm but as I’ve read & been told that’s not going to set it right! Aghh!
Old 02-02-2024, 05:12 PM
J.Abbott
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

You can raise your idle up to 1000 RPMs if you need to keep it running to set the initial timing. Once you can get your initial timing then you can drop your idle RPM and recheck the timing. Your hesitation could be several things going on though. First how much hesitation do you have. Is it a half second or 5 seconds from when you step on the throttle?
Old 02-02-2024, 05:20 PM
dburgjohn
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornhusker
Yes, when I roll into the throttle I don’t get hesitation, just when I mash the pedal, which I often do.
Car is not 'seeing' either throttle movement, air flow or both. You are going lean when you hit pedal.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:43 PM
Cornhusker
Instructor

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
You can raise your idle up to 1000 RPMs if you need to keep it running to set the initial timing. Once you can get your initial timing then you can drop your idle RPM and recheck the timing. Your hesitation could be several things going on though. First how much hesitation do you have. Is it a half second or 5 seconds from when you step on the throttle?
More like 1/2 second of hesitation.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:19 PM
J.Abbott
Racer

Ok, how does the car run though, does it miss or is it running good? You said when you rev it though, if you are in nuetral and you rev it, does it take a half second to rev after you have already hit the accelerator?
Old 02-02-2024, 08:55 PM
Cornhusker
Instructor

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Ok, how does the car run though, does it miss or is it running good? You said when you rev it though, if you are in nuetral and you rev it, does it take a half second to rev after you have already hit the accelerator?
Most of the time it seems to run well, no misses, etc. it’s a manual so I’d rev in neutral & yeah it’s a slight hesitation 1/2 second or less & not a crisp response to the pedal. I’ve not tried a double rev, if that’s what you’re asking.
Old 02-04-2024, 02:28 PM
ULTM8Z
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Ideally a scanner would probably tell you what's going on....

But absent that, you can test the TPS sensor with an ohmmeter. (if you haven't done this already...)

Put the probes across the blue and black wire terminals (will need to disconnect the harness connector). Don't need to turn the key on.

Then simply move the throttle and watch the ohmmeter. The resistance should change the millisecond you move the throttle, and it should move smoothly and linearly. If you get erratic readings, your TPS is likely going bad.

Other things to check would be your fuel pressure.
Old 02-04-2024, 03:42 PM
LiveWire1
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Have you looked at your fuel pressure and your fuel filter? Everyone's thinking electronics here, but I'm thinking you're shy on fuel pressure.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:59 PM
J.Abbott
Racer

Originally Posted by Cornhusker
Most of the time it seems to run well, no misses, etc. it’s a manual so I’d rev in neutral & yeah it’s a slight hesitation 1/2 second or less & not a crisp response to the pedal. I’ve not tried a double rev, if that’s what you’re asking.
Try checking your timing, once that is set you should be good. So on a L98 a hesitation is normal, a half second is minimal if it is a half second. Remember its a Tandy 2000 equivalent that is running the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Hesitation Issues

Quick Reply: Hesitation Issues