C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coolant 1990 C4 Automatic, Base Model

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 10:15 AM
Natty C
Drifting

Received 673 Likes on 439 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

Originally Posted by Whaleman
Which tank did you have to replace Natty? Dan
The high fill reservoir.

Never could find where specifically that the tank was leaking, so basically just threw a part at it on a hunch after everything else in the coolant system checked out good. It turned out to be the source of the coolant loss.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:32 AM
altownsend
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Acknowledged everyone. I checked the hoses to the reservoir, and they are seemingly good. I also cleaned the fill tank (the black one that the radiator cap screws into. I still have the dye in the system. I checked the oil a few times using the special light and UV glasses. So far, no detection of dye anywhere.

I will recheck the reservoir, the fill tank, and the oil again for dye. I did another radiator pressure test. I left it pressurized over night. 20PSI. It was 20PSI the next morning.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:30 PM
altownsend
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Update: 1990 C4 Corvette Base Model

I put the dye in the coolant a few weeks ago, and I have been checking for dye in the oil, around hoses, or anywhere where leaks may occur. The last major change in my attempt to find a solution was cleaning the fill tank and installing a new radiator cap. After the cleaning and radiator cap, I have monitored the fluid level to see any changes in the level. So far, no change in the level.

I made a presumption. Either the combination or one or the other has given me a presumptive solution. Either cleaning the filler mouth where the radiator cap screws on, or replacing the radiator cap has made my situation better. I checked again on Sunday, May 5, 2024, and the fluid level is as it was when I completed cleaning the filler container and installing the new radiator cap. I will drive the car this week, and recheck the fluid. If it does not change, I will consider my elusive coolant leak resolved.
The following 2 users liked this post by altownsend:
BET VETTE (05-06-2024), Whaleman (05-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Coolant 1990 C4 Automatic, Base Model