C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

tranny behavior.. ( zf )

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 11:06 AM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tranny behavior.. ( zf )

you that have zf trannys.

when you coasting at low speeds ( 20-30 km/h ), and tap and realse the gas pedal. Do you get gear lash behavior/sound? I got this ever since i got the car. Mayby its just normal zf sounds? I can even feel it in stick..

thanks
Old 02-01-2003, 07:33 PM
JTsTOY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tranny behavior.. (devilfish)

Mine makes some whine at low speed but I don't think it's something wrong internally, check the fluid level it may be low. Also you may want to look under the console plate to see if the floor dust seal is in place, mine wasn't and it let in a ton of noise. I can feel more of the vibes, whine and associated driveline bumps through my shifter, but it's a Hurst. :cheers:
Old 02-02-2003, 06:18 AM
LT4396
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tranny behavior.. (devilfish)

The backlash you are experiencing is most likely the dual mass flywheel. I have had 2 C4's, and both developed this problem within about 30,000 mi. Chev says it's "normal", and would not do anything about it. A friend who is a 23 yr GM tech says the springs in the dual mass get weaken over time and allow the backlash. Annoying, but should not hurt anything. I'm getting ready to junk the dual mass and Cenerforce clutch for a solid aluminum flywheel and dual disc McCleod setup.

Get notified of new replies

To tranny behavior.. ( zf )

Quick Reply: tranny behavior.. ( zf )