C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

95 vette ... alarm keeps going off every 8 to 10 hours or so

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 09:56 AM
YoungVetteOwner
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 vette ... alarm keeps going off every 8 to 10 hours or so

i have a 95 vette with the keyless entry and the alarm system that opens the doors when you walk right next to the car with the alarm remote. im positive its the system that came with the car originaly from chevy. well damn thing goes off ery 8 to 10 hours by itself. i had to get up at 3 in the morning to go shut the thing off. is this a problem i can fix on my own has anyone had this happen to them.any tips will really help
thank you
Old 02-13-2003, 11:00 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 95 vette ... alarm keeps going off every 8 to 10 hours or so (YoungVetteOwner)

Verify that your door switches aren't corroded and that they spring in and out properly. Use the courtesy light with one door open at a time to make sure lights go on and off. Verify trunk switch by doing the same thing. Verify that your battery is at 12 during shut off. Verify that all the fuses are pushed in properly. Others may chime in

good luck

kitt
Old 02-13-2003, 01:10 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: 95 vette ... alarm keeps going off every 8 to 10 hours or so (YoungVetteOwner)

Also make sure someone isnt setting your alarm off an running away.I dont know if your car is outside or not.I read an old article in a Vette magazine some years back with an interview with a Corvette thief.He said there was a Corvette he could not figure out how to disarm the car and was in it twice to attempt to disable.He couldnt find the secret switch the owner had customizewd to stay hidden.

So what he did was every night for a few days he would go to the car(it was parked outside in the driveway) and kick the tires,set off the alarm and run away.He would do this in the early mornings around 3 am as well.After a few days,the fed up but unsuspecting owner thought it was a electrical problem and didnt arm the alarm after that.The thief then got in one night,hot wired the car and stole it.
:eek:
However,If theres a problem with your alarm,make sure the key holes are straight as well.Sorry cant offer much more technial advice on it.

Old 02-13-2003, 03:07 PM
Admiral Fairway
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem on my '94. I found out that by using a hatch vent it had bent the bracket that held the switch for the hatch switch, it was bent just enough that the alarm would set and everything seemed alright, but just a little movement from the wind or vibration would set it off.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:10 PM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: 95 vette ... alarm keeps going off every 8 to 10 hours or so (kittmaster)

Verify that your door switches aren't corroded and that they spring in and out properly. Use the courtesy light with one door open at a time to make sure lights go on and off. Verify trunk switch by doing the same thing. Verify that your battery is at 12 during shut off. Verify that all the fuses are pushed in properly. Others may chime in
:withstupid: osunds like a good place to start looking to me :D
Old 02-13-2003, 04:48 PM
YoungVetteOwner
Intermediate

i checked all of the above and everything checks. one more thing is that sometimes i get close to the car and the remote doesnt open the car and sometimes when i leave my car it doesnt lock. its not that the doors get stuck or the locks get stuck its just that theres no reaction somtimes from the remote. one question is could a bad battery in the remote possible be causing the alarm to go off unexpectedly. the way its been messin up it almost seems like it would be the remote. any idea on how to open the remote up and change battery or is that somthin the dealer would have to look at?
Old 02-13-2003, 06:52 PM
PurpleC4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Currently Corvette-less

Is there a chance that you have misplaced (lost) one of your keyless remotes in your car, and wherever it has landed it has the alarm button pushed? Just an outside chance, but stranger things have happened.
~ Pupr
:seeya
Old 02-13-2003, 08:01 PM
YoungVetteOwner
Intermediate

no i only got one remote and i have it. and the thing is the only buttons it has is to pop the hatch and to unlock the passenger door.
im begining to think it might be a weak battery in the remote.
anyone ever changed this battery. i cant even figure out how to open my remote to change the battery but also i wouldnt want to change it without someone elses help for the fact of messin up what ever memory the remote might have.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:22 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 139 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I thought I needed a new battery once..go to Radio Shack, they have the correct batteries...to open the fob you insert a knife edge and pry it open carefully...make sure you have them check your old battery before you put a new one in... turned out my old one was ok and when I put it back in all was good...lastly, do a search on this forum as I seem to recall some sort of recycling procedure which may reset your system and fix it...good luck
Old 02-13-2003, 09:28 PM
nisstek
Advanced

One sure way to verify if it is, or isnt, the remote, is get it out of range. :yesnod: I would not think a bad remote battery would have anything to do with it. :thumbs: The remotes have no "memory" they are merely transmitters. The Vette must recognize its particular remote/s. A weak battery will only reduce the range from which the remote will unlock the doors.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:57 PM
92LT1Roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 95 vette ... alarm keeps going off every 8 to 10 hours or so (PurpleC4)

Yeap,,, check the doorjams!
Old 02-13-2003, 10:04 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: 95 vette ... alarm keeps going off every 8 to 10 hours or so (Bill's86Coupe)

Also make sure someone isnt setting your alarm off an running away.I dont know if your car is outside or not.I read an old article in a Vette magazine some years back with an interview with a Corvette thief.He said there was a Corvette he could not figure out how to disarm the car and was in it twice to attempt to disable.He couldnt find the secret switch the owner had customizewd to stay hidden.

So what he did was every night for a few days he would go to the car(it was parked outside in the driveway) and kick the tires,set off the alarm and run away.He would do this in the early mornings around 3 am as well.After a few days,the fed up but unsuspecting owner thought it was a electrical problem and didnt arm the alarm after that.The thief then got in one night,hot wired the car and stole it.
:eek:
Very old and very effective trick. It's kinda off topic but an interestiing story, so here goes. There is a Navy Seal by the name of Richard Marcinko, he was told to form Red Cell, a group of seals that would go around and expose security holes on military installations. He ended up exposing so many shortcomings that the program was terminated and people tried to make his head roll, but in any case he used the exact same trick you mentioned. They would chill out right on the other side of a fence on a military base. They would throw rabbits over the fence. The rabbits would set off the alarm but were so fast that nobody ever saw what set it off. After hours of false alarms they would just quit checking, then the seals could go right over and nobody would even think about it.

:D

Get notified of new replies

To 95 vette ... alarm keeps going off every 8 to 10 hours or so

Quick Reply: 95 vette ... alarm keeps going off every 8 to 10 hours or so