C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Unibody Support

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 06:27 PM
90whitevette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Unibody Support

Hi, I would like to know if there are any manufactures who sell frame braces or supports to tighten up the unibody on a 1990 vette. I recently saw a type of x-brace I believe recently, but was wondering of any other such braces also available. I did a search here, but couldnt find anything. Thanks. :)
Old 02-18-2003, 06:36 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Re: C4 Unibody Support (90whitevette)

The C4 is a full frame car. There are factoy x-brace off convertibles, aftermarket ones also. There is a vendor here that is selling them as well as other chasis stiffiners. Check the C4 mall.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:39 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Hi, I would like to know if there are any manufactures who sell frame braces or supports to tighten up the unibody on a 1990 vette. I recently saw a type of x-brace I believe recently, but was wondering of any other such braces also available. I did a search here, but couldnt find anything. Thanks. :)
:cheers: The Vette is not a uni-body. It has a separate body, sub-frame and frame.

The Z52 Convertible has all the "extra braces" There's a post on this somewhere nearby.

I believe 84c4, on this section somewhere, look for camber brace and cross brace posts, also produces an X bar similar to that found on the verts that can be installed on the coupes.

If you can find used pars from a Z51/52, you may be able to get the front braces.

Good Luck

:D :D

:steering: [ I love that Lil Guy! ]
Old 02-18-2003, 06:40 PM
90whitevette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: C4 Unibody Support (RichS)

RichS, hey thanks a lot. I thought it was a unibody (I'm a vette newbie). Thats great, thanks again. :thumbs:
Old 02-18-2003, 06:45 PM
StealDads67
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

RichS, hey thanks a lot. I thought it was a unibody (I'm a vette newbie). Thats great, thanks again. :thumbs:
Gotta ask questions to learn! You'll get hooked then soon know everything there is to know about them :yesnod:
Old 02-18-2003, 08:01 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: C4 Unibody Support (StealDads67)

the C4 is a pseudo-unibody.

the the rear 2/3rds is more or less a monocoque, which, in turn, is a unibody.

I know the full definition of a unibody, but the rear 2/3rds are more or less cast in stone for modification - the body work in the rear is actually a stressed member.

Same goes for the windscreen header and the B-pillar. Not even calloway changed those parts around. basically, the only parts up for grabs on a C4 are the bolted parts. The hood, daps, rockers and gills. everything else is pretty much fixed.

It is a strange arrangement.

I was talking to the people at vette2vette a couple months ago...they told me that it takes 2 people 2-3 days to disassemble a C5... takes 3 people a week to take a C4 apart!!!

Old 02-19-2003, 10:45 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Re: C4 Unibody Support (bogus)

If you want you car to feel tighter, you could use the X brace, a 4 pt roll bar or both.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:04 PM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

R-D Racing, a forum sponsor, makes a Cross Bar, for behind the seats, a camber brace for the front suspension and a X-member, under the car. Total cost would be ~$1000 plus installation (it can be a DIY). Check them out at
www.r-dracing.com

[Modified by John Row, 4:06 PM 2/19/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Unibody Support

Quick Reply: C4 Unibody Support