C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LED Tailights

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Clemson Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: LED Tailights (Mr Mojo)

So does anyone know where we can get a kit for the c4? and does it include the center strip brake light too? i'm very interested in this. please keep the info coming. :cheers:
Old 03-05-2003, 12:19 AM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: LED Tailights (Clemson Vette)

Man, I was just thinkin' about this the other day. I saw a school bus with the LED tailights. All round. Would be perfect on a Vette. And the turn signals had the coolest flash. They would start in the center and work out, not just a complete on and off. Really :cool:
Old 03-05-2003, 07:44 AM
CMYC4GO
Melting Slicks

Default Re: LED Tailights (lite blue)

Those lights you saw the other day were from Peterson Mnfg. They do look cool! :thumbs: They come in Red or Amber
Old 03-05-2003, 08:19 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: LED Tailights (ROME)

I have them on my 93, I really like them. Some may classify the mod as rice......well they can go jump off a cliff. They are expensive but they are really bright and very quick to turn on over a standard incadecent bulb. Example, if I apply brakes at night I can see them light up the street sign almost 200 yards away! They are plug and play, pop bulb out, replace with led set. I went a step further and put blackouts over them so they are a "surprise" when they come on and still look cool when not turned on.
I try to snap a few pics today for you

Kitt
Old 03-05-2003, 09:45 AM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: LED Tailights (kittmaster)

KM, what lights did you get? If you could supply P/N's as well, that would be helpful. Did you replace the flasher also?
Now, I'm assuming I need amber for the front park/turn lamps and clear for the rear stop/turn, is that correct? It seems like the clear lights are a bit rarer.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Iroc
Pro

Default Re: LED Tailights (ShawnZR-1)

After watching this thread I'm interested now too

I've used some (for computers) from Radio Shack. Theirs are the Ultra bright and the plastic end is clear but it glows the color.

I wonder how it would look in the big plastic lens cause if they fit in like the bulb the lighting surface would be about the size of a quarter and most LEDs do not have a wide angle of light. Would it fill up the red lens area?

I am most interested if they offer amber LEDs for the front turn signal bulbs. My current bulbs glass is amber in color and you can see it through the lens, but if the LEDs were clear it would look great from the front.

I would also hope they sell them individualy or in pairs cause I have the european tail light kit, I would end up needing 2 red & 2 amber for the rear.

I can see the lower voltage gains already. If I turn on too many accessories and am sitting at a traffic light the BAT gauge tries to dip below 12.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:28 PM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: LED Tailights (Iroc)

I wonder how it would look in the big plastic lens cause if they fit in like the bulb the lighting surface would be about the size of a quarter and most LEDs do not have a wide angle of light. Would it fill up the red lens area? Well, the lights from LEDtronics look like they emit light in all directions (look at the link Mervs posted in the second reply).

I am most interested if they offer amber LEDs for the front turn signal bulbs. My current bulbs glass is amber in color and you can see it through the lens, but if the LEDs were clear it would look great from the front. After perusing eBay for a while, yes, they make Amber (and red, blue, green, etc). I saw multiple colors from LEDtronics too.

I would also hope they sell them individualy or in pairs cause I have the european tail light kit, I would end up needing 2 red & 2 amber for the rear. They do. The ones I found on http://www.ledtronics.com were all sold single, but eBay has the cheaper ones and some of them are sold in pairs.

I can see the lower voltage gains already. If I turn on too many accessories and am sitting at a traffic light the BAT gauge tries to dip below 12. Yup, me too. It's actually the current that is greatly reduced (from like 2 amps per bulb to less than half an amp!).
Old 03-05-2003, 01:56 PM
T1Kilr
Drifting

One thing to remember, the output of the LED goes down with an increase in ambient temp as well as the junction temp. To maintain the output, you must increase the current.

These products should have a disclaimer of "for off road use only" Most of the aftermarket "show" type products (lens blackouts included) do not pass minimum requirements for automotive lighting.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:13 PM
ROME
Racer

Hey Rome, what size tires do you have on that beast? Is that just an illusion or are those things like 335's?
335/30/18's :yesnod:
Old 03-06-2003, 10:21 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

As requested

Normal in off state (blacked out purposely to hide)

Parking/headlights only

Parking/headlights upclose and personal

Left blinker on with parking lights simutanously

Hope this helps, Don't think it qualifies as RICE, but to each his own, I like it

Kitt

[Modified by kittmaster, 10:23 AM 3/6/2003]
Old 03-06-2003, 10:34 AM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where did you get those??? prices? part #'s ?
Old 03-06-2003, 10:35 AM
konroh
Racer

looks cool :cool:
Old 03-06-2003, 10:46 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Default Re: LED Tailights (FoolCrzy)

they were around 299 if memory serves.......company called adjure electronics.

Kitt
Old 03-06-2003, 11:01 AM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

$48 each for those LEDtronics LEDs? Ouch! I bought one of the ricer APC LED 1157 replacement bulbs at Advance Auto for $6 to use on my snowmobile. Other than a somewhat narrow dispersion, I'm happy with my $6 bulb. The construction quality was better than I expected. They aren't the least bit fragile looking. The LEDs are attached to a printed circuit board, and the whole thing is encased in thick clear plastic. With a good reflective tail light lense, the dispersion should be somewhat less of an issue. For what they cost, I'd reccomend that people give them a try before sinking tons of cash into a more extravagent design.

[Modified by Jim85IROC, 11:03 AM 3/6/2003]
Old 03-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Mervz
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: LED Tailights (Jim85IROC)

$48 each for those LEDtronics LEDs? Ouch! I bought one of the ricer APC LED 1157 replacement bulbs at Advance Auto for $6 to use on my snowmobile. Other than a somewhat narrow dispersion, I'm happy with my $6 bulb. The construction quality was better than I expected. They aren't the least bit fragile looking. The LEDs are attached to a printed circuit board, and the whole thing is encased in thick clear plastic. With a good reflective tail light lense, the dispersion should be somewhat less of an issue. For what they cost, I'd reccomend that people give them a try before sinking tons of cash into a more extravagent design.

[Modified by Jim85IROC, 11:03 AM 3/6/2003]
Jim, as i said above, there is a reason the ledtronics cost so much, and the APC cost $6. the APC's use very low output, red lensed LEDs. These are the lowest quality LED's you can buy!! Each costs under a cent.
The LEDtronics ones are clear lense, red diode LEDs. These are brighter, last longer (2-4X) and illuminate better. the APC only point LED's out backward, and have only a few LED. That is not enough. The LED tronics have LED's point forward and to the side, and have 24 leds.

I worked for many years designing LED lights, i know what i'm talking about.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:29 PM
ronsrkt
Instructor

Default Re: LED Tailights (Mervz)

Could someone give us a part number for the brake lights,ect. from LEDTRONICS. I read about them last year in Popular Mechanics and it seemed like a cool project. I stopped by their place in Torrance twice and spoke with them, they didnt yet have an application for my '96. Actually I gave up on them after that because they had a really poor attitude and seemed to have no interest in making a "small" sale.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:02 AM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Default Re: LED Tailights (ronsrkt)

I like my $1.69 1157's REAL GOOD compared to 48 bux a pop.

Get notified of new replies

To LED Tailights

Old 03-07-2003, 10:09 AM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: LED Tailights (VetNutJim)

I like my $1.69 1157's REAL GOOD compared to 48 bux a pop.
Pics??
Old 03-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Mervz, I don't doubt that the $50 jobs are better. I only doubt whether they are worth the price differential. All of the OEMs that use LEDs use the red ones, because they're cheap and still WAY brighter than incandescant bulbs. I've got a Mitsubishi Eclipse 3rd brake light assembly, and burried behind the red plastic was red LEDs. Once they're behind a red lense, they all look the same, and are still sufficiently bright. Even if they only last 1/2 as long, you're still looking at a life span in the range of years, not months.

Are they better than the $50 bulbs? Of course not. Are they a substantially better value? They are to me.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Pics??
Dude, just go look at your own car. 1157s are the stock bulbs that you've already got. :cheers:

Quick Reply: LED Tailights