C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 07:40 AM
Bradley33
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

Car is up for the winter, and I have it stored in my sisters garage (no room in mine and she doesn't use her's)

Anyways it's hard for me to get over there and start the car up on a regular basis, last year I made it over at least once every three weeks, but this year I let it sit for almost 9 between starts. I went over there last weekend and started it up, ran it up to temperature, checked everything out... It looked pretty good. The belts were squeaking a little at first, but they seemed to smooth out after a while.

When I was done, I shut the hood and as I was putting the cover back on I noticed a stream of oil coming from under the car. :( I've heard that oil leaks on LT1 engines are common after they've been sitting awhile (this is why I try to start it regularly) I couldnt' really get under the car to look at it, as it is a very cramped/dark garage and the car is so low.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with oil leaks and could give me some advice? Is it possible that this is just a seal that might re-expand after I've run it a few miles in the spring? Or a serious problem I should have checked out by a shop? There was an actual stream of oil running from under the car, and I have no idea how much is actually sitting on the floor under the block.

I know it's not much to go on, but I'm a little worried about this and would appreciate some advice.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:38 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Default Re: Oil Leak (Bradley33)

Oil leaks may be common, but not leaks of that magnitude.

You'll need to get it on jackstands and take a look. If oil is literally streaming out, I sure as heck wouldn't drive it anywhere. Besides potential engine damage from lack of oil, it's a fire hazard too.

Could be the oil pan gasket, could be the oil pan drain plug is loose, or any one of a number of other things.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:59 AM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Oil Leak (96GS#007)

:withstupid:
With oil "streaming"out, don't drive it. Get a flashlight and see if you can tell where it's coming from. If not Jack it up and look..

Could you see if it was in front or back of the engine?

[Modified by FoolCrzy, 9:01 AM 3/6/2003]
Old 03-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Bradley33
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I didn't even really look :(

It's a one car garage and VERY cramped. So I can't exactly work with the car in there.

I'll try to get back over there this weekend and see if I can check it out further. But I'll probably have to wait a 4-6 weeks for the snow to melt to get it out to the driveway to get a serious look at it. :sad:
Old 03-06-2003, 11:01 AM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Luck, Keep us posted.
:sad:

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Leak

Quick Reply: Oil Leak