C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Problem with my brakes

Old 03-15-2003, 07:08 PM
White Lightning
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with my brakes

My 89 has had a problem with its brakes for almost a year now. If I'm out on the highway for about 15 minutes or so without touching the brakes, when I do hit them, they sink down about 1/4th of the way before engaging.

Last month, I had to hit the brakes hard for someone who cut me off, and I heard a loud noise like someone blowing a cazoo really hard. It did not come from my ABS. I have since heard the same noise when I braked hard to avoid hitting an rabbit that darted across the road. Today, while driving around, I heard a hissing type noise whenever I had my foot on the brake.

Do I have some sort of vacuum hose that's going bad and causing these problems? I know there is some sort of hose that goes through the firewall behind the brake booster thing that the master cylinders are attached to. I replaced that booster thing last year when I first had the soft pedal problem, and I replaced all the hoses and lines except for that one that goes through the firewall. So could that hose be the problem? If so, how do I replace it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:24 PM
jimswhite92
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Problem with my brakes (White Lightning)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=510801

Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:20 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

My 89 has had a problem with its brakes for almost a year now. If I'm out on the highway for about 15 minutes or so without touching the brakes, when I do hit them, they sink down about 1/4th of the way before engaging.

Last month, I had to hit the brakes hard for someone who cut me off, and I heard a loud noise like someone blowing a cazoo really hard. It did not come from my ABS. I have since heard the same noise when I braked hard to avoid hitting an rabbit that darted across the road. Today, while driving around, I heard a hissing type noise whenever I had my foot on the brake.

Do I have some sort of vacuum hose that's going bad and causing these problems? I know there is some sort of hose that goes through the firewall behind the brake booster thing that the master cylinders are attached to. I replaced that booster thing last year when I first had the soft pedal problem, and I replaced all the hoses and lines except for that one that goes through the firewall. So could that hose be the problem? If so, how do I replace it?

Thanks in advance.
:cheers: Almost sounds like two problems, but perhaps it is all the same problem.

Generally the hissing sound is a vacuum leak and more than likely that is the vacuum booster tank ( the big black thing behind the Master Cylinder) has developed a leak.

There is a vacuum hose, to provide vacuum to the booster. You will find it if you look at the booster( it's black rubber), trace it to it's source. If it is loose or worn/detoriated, that might be your problem.

Is the pedal "hard" when it finally grabs? If not, then you might have a second problem (not necessarily related to the booster) of air in the brake system.

Check the vacuum hose to the booster, but more than likely there is a vacuum leak around the booster

:steering: [I love that Lil Guy!]

Old 03-16-2003, 07:23 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I am not having the hissing problem, but I am having the brake problem as mentioned before. I have to move the pedal about 1/4 of the way before the brakes begin to grab. When I got my car yesterday, the front reservoir was empty. I filed it and the brakes worked better, but still have too much travel. I think (and hope)it is just air in the lines. What else could it be?
Old 03-16-2003, 08:51 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Problem with my brakes (LowFlight)

Change and bleed the fluid, but i'm thinking the Master Cylinder is toast.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:06 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Problem with my brakes (vader86)

:iagree:
Old 03-16-2003, 08:24 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Problem with my brakes (vader86)

On Mine or the original poster's car?

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with my brakes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with my brakes