C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

GM coolant tablets-Should I use em and what for??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 01:13 PM
GrandSportVet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM coolant tablets-Should I use em and what for??

Asked this before but I couldn't access the topic to see the replies. I was just wonderin about these things and if anyone else has ever used em and what are they supposed to help/ do? :confused:
Old 03-19-2003, 02:33 PM
YLO Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Re: GM coolant tablets-Should I use em and what for?? (GrandSportVet)

Yes, use them :yesnod: . Every time you flush and fill your coolant, you should drop a packet of these tablets into the upper radiator tank. The purpose of these tablets is to seal tiny holes in the gaskets and and hoses which could cause eventual leaks in the colling system. These tablets should help preserve the integrity of the cooling system and prolong the life of the Opti. 1 pack costs around $6 bucks.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:43 PM
Alex D
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: GM coolant tablets-Should I use em and what for?? (94vette)

DITTO !!! Six (6) tablets per flush and refill are recommended in the Helms manual.........suggestion for easy install: before opening the tablet's package, bust the tablets up to powder with a hammer and then open the package and pre-mix the powder with coolant or water and pour into the radiaotr hose (not reservoir!)......worked slicker than possum s#!t for me. :)
Yes, use them :yesnod: . Every time you flush and fill your coolant, you should drop a packet of these tablets into the upper radiator tank. The purpose of these tablets is to seal tiny holes in the gaskets and and hoses which could cause eventual leaks in the colling system. These tablets should help preserve the integrity of the cooling system and prolong the life of the Opti. 1 pack costs around $6 bucks.

[Modified by Alex D, 1:45 PM 3/19/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 02:48 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: GM coolant tablets-Should I use em and what for?? (Alex D)

:iagree: Opinions vary on this subject here on the forum. That said, I have used them since I bought the car new and have never had a water pump or any type of coolant failure. But then again, I change the coolant every year tho.

[Modified by ittlfly, 6:34 AM 3/22/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 03:23 PM
sumoboy
Racer

Before I answer any questions,that no matter what I say,someone will think I'm wrong. The tablets are useful if you have an aluminum head to an iron block or an all aluminum motor. I don't know about using 6 tabs though in an iron & aluminum motor. I know that Cadillac came out with the tabs when they built the 4.1 aluminum head motor to seal the head to the block. It has a sticker with the part # under the hood stating to use them. They tend to leak if not used....been there. I also have seen a few cars and trucks come into the shop that used the pellets in an all cast motor and talk about clogged! But then I had a friend put it in his 69 350 pickup with a crack in the block and it sealed it :eek: lasted about a year...maybe longer...traded it in nothing said :skep: to dealer. I put two tabs in my 94 LT1 but is it working? I can't say...never had a leak. Most of the time on these motors it will seal head to block or intake to head seepages. Look at it this way also....If it works as a sealer and the waterpump seal starts to go bad and clogs the weephole do you take a trip with a timebomb going to happen or would you rather know. Hey htis stuff sealed a cracked block I saw it!
It's all up to the user... I just said I used 2 from my experience.That's my opinion. :thumbs:

[Modified by sumoboy, 9:13 PM 3/19/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 03:26 PM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: GM coolant tablets-Should I use em and what for?? (Alex D)

suggestion for easy install: before opening the tablet's package, bust the tablets up to powder with a hammer and then open the package and pre-mix the powder with coolant or water and pour into the radiator hose (not reservoir!)......
:iagree:

I ended up with a bunch of brown stuff in the overflow tank when I just put the tablets in the expansion tank.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:46 PM
sumoboy
Racer

Default Re: GM coolant tablets-Should I use em and what for?? (John Row)

I ended up with a bunch of brown stuff in the overflow tank when I just put the tablets in the expansion tank.
The best way to do it right is with a clean fill.
GM originally called them supplemntal coolant tablets. Came in 4 pack and 6 pack.

[Modified by sumoboy, 9:12 PM 3/19/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 05:35 PM
Pats90
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default Re: GM coolant tablets-Should I use em and what for?? (sumoboy)

The coolant tablets or pellets are used on Corvettes with iron blocks and aluminum heads. GM also uses them on Cadillacs with iron blocks and aluminum heads as well. The reason is that the iron block and aluminum heads heat and cool at different rates. The tablets help seal them so they don't leak. If you never change the coolant and replace the tablets rust may develop between the block and head, and then you have big problems.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:42 PM
GrandSportVet
Advanced

Thanks all! I put em in last night, crushed em up too but didn't start the car. I had this feeling maybe I shouldn't of put all six in and started wondering. I figured I'd only have to dump out the upper coolant resevior. I do have a small leak coming from the lower right of the radiator around the hose and petcock area but I dont think its either. This prob just developed one sunny winter day when I decided to start it for a while. It never leaked all summer. Im just wonderin if it might be the cold hose not sealin or somethin. Now I wonder if these tablets might help it? I hope I dont have to replace my original radiator! :cuss
Old 03-19-2003, 06:07 PM
sumoboy
Racer

Thanks all! I put em in last night, crushed em up too but didn't start the car. I had this feeling maybe I shouldn't of put all six in and started wondering. I figured I'd only have to dump out the upper coolant resevior. I do have a small leak coming from the lower right of the radiator around the hose and petcock area but I dont think its either. This prob just developed one sunny winter day when I decided to start it for a while. It never leaked all summer. Im just wonderin if it might be the cold hose not sealin or somethin. Now I wonder if these tablets might help it? I hope I dont have to replace my original radiator! :cuss
I would check where the leak is first. Since you now know there is one. I have 9 tractor trailers at work and they usually develope cold water leaks in the winter but usually just hose clamps. Expand...Contract.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:41 PM
GS919
Pro

GM issued a TSB I think in 2000 advising not to use these tablets as it could cause contamination to the coolant. Anyone have an alldata subscription? The TSB # is 00-06-02-006.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:01 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: GM coolant tablets-Should I use em and what for?? (GS919)

Thanks for the TSB information. When I changed my coolant in my LT4 I used the information in the 96's service manual. I will visit the dealership and read the TSB.
I was wondering initially reading the beginning posts if I should put the tablets in my ZZ crate engine in my 70. Now will decide after reading the TSB.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:51 PM
GrandSportVet
Advanced

Default Re: GM coolant tablets-Should I use em and what for?? (70ZZ3 96LT4)

Now what do I think! There is a TSB saying not to use the tablets???? :crazy:
If anyone has a copy of it please post or elaborate on whether these things are bad or not??
Old 03-20-2003, 06:42 PM
GS919
Pro

I found the text of the TSB, here is an excerpt:

: DEX-COOL Engine Coolant Information #00-06-02-006
: DEX-COOL® Engine Coolant Information
: 2001 and Prior Passenger Cars and Trucks

Sealing Tablets
: Sealing tablets are not used at the assembly plant for most models. Sealing tablets are generally not necessary and should not be used as a regular maintenance item after servicing an engine cooling system. The use of sealing tablets can, in some cases, produce contamination of the cooling system and/or severe discoloration of coolant.

Alldata has this TSB listed for the '96 Corvette. It is confusing since the sealing tablets were added at the factory originally for the car. I think that I will continue using them but change the coolant more often. Here is a link to the complete TSB.
http://forums.vmag.com/suvtahyuk0301/messages/1713.html
Old 03-20-2003, 07:09 PM
sumoboy
Racer

Now what do I think! There is a TSB saying not to use the tablets???? :crazy:
It states for the Dexcool systems. The is a service bulliten about improper sticker placed on radiators on some corvettes using Dexcool. I geuss someone at the assembly line forgot :nonod:
Old 03-21-2003, 02:38 PM
GrandSportVet
Advanced

Default Re: GM coolant tablets-Should I use em and what for?? (GS919)

Ok then I'll start the car already and let it circulate! :thumbs: After all the support for em I hear about the tsb and was scared again! :eek: But I guess they won't hurt anything so long as you don't put em in every time you drain/flush. :chevy
Old 03-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Okay, I'll throw this in: My son works at the local Chevy Dealer as a mechcanic, and I asked him this question. His dealership doesn't use them because of a buildup in the bottom of the system. They go by the service bulletin. I think that if you change your coolant on a regular basis you'll be fine. Does anybody have a direct line to the general? Ask them, they designed it. :chevy
Old 01-08-2018, 09:39 PM
deepstuff
Heel & Toe

Looks like ther are copper and aluminum formulations of similar products? What should I use with aluminum heads and block vs iron block?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:50 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Actually called Cooling System Seal Tabs. Made up of Ginger Root and ground up Almond Shells. I have heard Pepper as well.
They were used by GM in the '90s to help seal engines with Aluminum Heads or all Aluminum. As was stated they are no longer used on a regular basis. One benefit was if used correctly they did not clog the system, make sure to crush them first. I would use them today but sparingly not with every cooling system service.
Barrier

Get notified of new replies

To GM coolant tablets-Should I use em and what for??

Quick Reply: GM coolant tablets-Should I use em and what for??