C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

early C4 dashboard- Passenger head BUMP??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Fast_vette89
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: early C4 dashboard- Passenger head BUMP?? (TheCorvetteKid)

i know exactly what your talking about....the dam look when you tell them. "no, that's not a glove box"... not 1 persona Hasn't asked me what it is. Every single dam person asks it. I'm gonna make something on my own. I have a CB radio in the car now..maybe i'll build it into that panel...who knows. My Racing seats come in tomorrow. I'm making a harness bar and 5points are ordered....so bread box can wait for now. I've just been itching at if other people get asked as much as i do what is that.
-Jason 89Auto Coupe
Low 13's
Old 03-27-2003, 08:27 AM
DaveD
Instructor

Default Re: early C4 dashboard- Passenger head BUMP?? (Fast_vette89)

I'm going to get around to trying this myself. My plan is 1st just a piece of stiff aluminum, masonite, tin, whatever, bolted/pop riveted in. Then take another piece of masonite, have it covered in vinyl (maybe with a 1/4" of padding) then two long horizontal velcro strips on the ack to fasten it to the 1st piece that is screwed in. I figure about 5$-$10 in material if I do it all myself.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:18 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: early C4 dashboard- Passenger head BUMP?? (HeeHaw89)

I don't understand what the big deal is about the bread box. Personally I think it looks better than the flat look people are doing. :U
All personal preference though, to each his own.
I agree. When I bought the car, it had the CHEAPO aftermaket flat panel. I always thought the original GM design looked pretty cool so I retored it...glad I did.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:04 PM
Fast Glass
Burning Brakes

I took the bread box off and stuffed it in the cupboard where it belongs. In it's place I cut a piece of .060 aluminum and drilled three 2 5/8 holes for my Oil pressure, water temp, and boost gauges. I also have my air fuel ratio meter mounted on it. The gauges have the plastis tilt pieces behind them so they face towards the driver. Right now its painted black, but I'll look around for some black material to cover it, and maybe throw one of those small Corvette valve cover emblems on it just for looks.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:20 PM
Mike263
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was replaced by a prevous owner. He installed real polished wood - not plastic laminate. So I have a wooden panel held on by 4 screws.

Behind the "bread loaf", or panel in my case, is a VATS module and behind that the ECM and Theft Deterent Module TDM).

I recently installed a GM VKE 1000 keyless entry system and I mounted the reciever and a couple of relays behind this panel, next the the VATS module.

I never had the loaf and don't miss it.

[Modified by Mike263, 12:21 PM 3/27/2003]
Old 03-27-2003, 03:54 PM
RamjetVette
Le Mans Master

Fast Vette, I wrote a Tech Tip when I pulled out the breadbox in my 87. I have also seen one where the owner put the CORVETTE lettering that goes on the rear on it. Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions. Here is mine after the breadbox delete option.

:seeya

Quick Reply: early C4 dashboard- Passenger head BUMP??