C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Please Help - 93 Won't Fire Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 05:44 PM
cactus93
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help - 93 Won't Fire Up

I was just driving back into my apartment complex, and the car died. The starter turns the engine over, but it will not fire up. I have checked the fuses and they are all OK. Battery appears fine, and all accessories/electrics appear normal. PKE security is still working fine as well. The car acts and sounds completely normal on startup, but the engine will not fire up. And yes...as usual...it's Sunday.

93 / 6 speed

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:29 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Please Help - 93 Won't Fire Up (cactus93)

Have you checked for codes? When you turn the key the on position, can you hear the fuel pump running? Next, pull several plug wires and ground them out while cranking to see if there is spark. If so, check for fuel pressure.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:35 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Pull the codes, as previously suggested. Sounds typical of a failed opti-spark. Let's hope not. :grouphug:
Old 04-13-2003, 08:58 PM
cactus93
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the past 2 hours I have been trying to pull the PCM codes....with no luck. I shorted pins A and B on the ALDL, turned the ignition to ON, but the Service Engine Soon light stays on constantly...no flashing.

I did however unplug and ground several spark plug wires, and no spark.

I have long suspected my Opti was on it's way out. I have had all of the tell tale signs. My vette is a daily driver, and am now trying to figure out whether to buy an Opti from Jeff Kopp and wait until it arrives, or fork out the clams and have Chevy replace it ASAP. Either way, I don't have any room to work on my car, so I will have to pay a mechanic to install it.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:20 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

You might want to get some phone quotes from sources that have replaced opti's. If the GM dealer does the work, they may want to replace the water pump for warranty purposes. Since the pump has to be removed anyway for access to the opti, it is worth the extra $250 (or whatever a pump my cost). You will probably receive quotes for $600 on the opti, but since you are aware of Jeff's price (about half), you should be able to negotiate a reasonable price. Just recently, a local shop quoted me labor for the opti at $330, which is very reasonable. Good luck..............

Get notified of new replies

To Please Help - 93 Won't Fire Up

Quick Reply: Please Help - 93 Won't Fire Up