C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AutoZone Optispark crap

Old 04-19-2003, 11:04 PM
redragtop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoZone Optispark crap

Ok, I was warned, AutoZone reman distributors are junk. Won't produce beyond 4500 rpm. Who's the guy we call to order OEM Chevy parts again? This is the last damn time I'm taking apart the front of this motor...Hell, I had to buy an OEM cap and rotor for better than $300, but the business end of this whole performance system is based on that distributor. Lifetime warranty or not that they offer is junk. Pisses me off that I only replaced it as a PM measure...car runs worse now.

I think the gentelman I refer to is affiliated with a dealership in Ohio; I don't care. I want my car right. How do I contact him and order a new OEM distributor?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 04-19-2003, 11:06 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Re: AutoZone Optispark crap (redragtop)

Jeff Kopp

(800) 728-8267
Old 04-19-2003, 11:08 PM
redragtop
Instructor

Thanks, you da man. I'll call him Monday.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:54 AM
HOMER308
Instructor

Another option is to call Jason Cromer at Sam Taylor in Florida - he can be reached at 877-726-8295. I just picked up a 10457702 Opti for my '92 complete with cap and rotor for $280 - $8 shipping.

I posted last fall on my problems with my car - you can search the archive! Needless to say, I ALSO tried one of these AutoZone "specials" trying to save a few bucks - BIG MISTAKE!! After that, and having spent $1K at Goodwrench, along with coil, driver, and ECM replacement, THEN the car starts throwing code 16 (the AutoZone Opti was only 12 months old!).

Just took the car out - called Jason - new Opti showed up three days later! Now I'm in the middle of the swap-out - fingers crossed! :yesnod:

PS - As for the famous Auto-Zone warranty, as soon as you modify the casting for the vent mod under the Tech Tips like I did, you can kiss THAT goodbye! :mad

Good luck!
Old 04-20-2003, 06:46 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: AutoZone Optispark crap (HOMER308)

The quality problem with Autozone distributors is widely known. My son has replaced his Autozone remanufactured distributor on his Ford Probe 3 times in the past 2 years. I studied the last one and could see how they chopped into the module to replace the burned out electrical component then poured epoxy on it to cover the hole. Pretty shoddy work. On the Probe forum there are lots of complaints about their reman distributors lasting only 6-12 months.

Autozone never complains when he brings it back for exchange. They must know they are crap.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:29 AM
Goggles Pizano
Pro

i bought a remaned opti from advance auto parts when i worked there.... thought i was getting a deal with my discount........but after listening to you guys i realize that i was getting ripped off....the opti lasted over 2 years but only had 25000 miles on it ... i just thought it was time for it to go!!!!! oh well..never again......the next one i replace will be the performance billet type....the archived post here are a dream!!!!!! thanks :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To AutoZone Optispark crap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AutoZone Optispark crap