C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

[HELP /Advice] Window adjustment (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 03:01 PM
T1Kilr
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [HELP /Advice] Window adjustment (sort of)

I have a question for those that have replaced/repaired either of the side windows on their vette. Is using the J22055 window retainer nut wrench necessary? I thought I just needed to adjust my window but it turns out that the front stop that rides along the front guide is shattered and needs replaced. In the GM manuals it says to use this wrench. I just need to know if i need to order it when I order the other parts for the window.

Thanks ! :cheers:
Old 04-20-2003, 04:14 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: [HELP /Advice] Window adjustment (T1Kilr)

When I replaced a window regulator in my '88 I could access all bolts with normal tools.

I suspect that tool may not be "necessary" but convenient; you should check it out to be sure if you don't get a difinitive response here.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:34 AM
T1Kilr
Drifting

ttt ... for the weekday crew
Old 04-21-2003, 11:12 AM
HammerDown
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am facing this exact same problem at the moment. The last time I went into the door it was to replace the window motor. While I was in there, I noticed the plastic guide stop was starting to crack. Well, I epoxied around the crack, but it ended up breaking somewhere else. I can't get the broken piece off as the bolt just turns the washer/nut on the back of the glass. I didn't have a problem with the other washer studs because they were still adhered to the back of the glass. This one, however, is just spinning and you need to special tool to hold it. I tried fabricating my own tool using some bolts and a piece of aluminum stock, but it bent the bolts.
Do you have the part # for the replacement window guide stop? I'll be buying one myself.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:28 PM
T1Kilr
Drifting

Default Re: [HELP /Advice] Window adjustment (HammerDown)

I was lucky a local chevy dealer had it so I can work on it tonight... but the part number for the passenger side is 10243038 and it should cost about $13.48

as for the special wrench... I'm gonna try it without it and go from there. Hopefully that blasted tool wont be to $$$ if needed.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Glasman66
Drifting

This is one of the engineering F'ups of all time with the Vette door glass.

There is a spanner nut on the other side of the guide. It is a total bitch to get to and if you don't have a spanner tool the nut just spins when you trt to unbolt it.

The rest of it is a piece of cake. :rant:
Old 04-22-2003, 06:37 AM
T1Kilr
Drifting

Default Re: [HELP /Advice] Window adjustment (Glasman66)

:iagree:
FWIW... the tool J22055 is required when making modifications to the front window guide stop unless you can use a large set of channel locks to hold the 1 1/2 in round "nut" on the outside of the window glass.

This method is not favorable because a slight burr on the edge of it could potentially crack the window.

I found this out last night when I went to install it and I just thought I would pass this little tid-bit on.... :cheers:

[Modified by T1Kilr, 6:39 AM 4/22/2003]
Old 04-22-2003, 08:59 AM
HammerDown
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the part number. I'll be ordering it today (or maybe try the dealership first). I asked the dealership about the tool and if they could order it for me, and at first they didn't know what I was talking about, then they finally said, "We can't order any special tools." Yeah, uh huh. Bill Heard Chevrolet sucks. So, the place I am going to try and order it from is Kent-Moore SPX. They are listed in the service manual. They also have a website.
Thanks for all the help guys! The Corvette door has to be one of the least thought out areas on the car. :mad

Get notified of new replies

To [HELP /Advice] Window adjustment (sort of)

Quick Reply: [HELP /Advice] Window adjustment (sort of)