C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Intermittant scraping noise from clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 12:46 PM
jsaunde2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittant scraping noise from clutch

My car has made a strange noise recently.

This has happened twice, both times when the car was hot and sat for approximately 30-45 minutes and then driven again.

The noise occured when initially engaging the clutch. It is a scraping type noise and only opccurs on initial clutch engagement. If I let the clutch out just until it starts making the noise and then depress it, it makes the noise again when I begin to release the clutch the next time. However, it does not make the noise again after the first time the clutch is fully engaged.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing that maybe something is causing the throwout bearing to temporarily stick in some strnge suituations.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 04-28-2003, 08:13 PM
jiml94
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Intermittant scraping noise from clutch (jsaunde2)

Jason: IMHO I think you are correct in assuming the problem lies in the throw out bearing. How many miles on the clutch?
Old 04-29-2003, 01:00 PM
lone73
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason,

My '96 had a similar scraping noise, it was intermittant at first and progressed into an all-the-time thing after a a few hundred miles. It happened when the clutch was fully depressed though, just off the floor it would quit.

There is a locking cap screw that keeps the post that the clutch fork pivots on secure. That cap came loose and fell out into the bell housing. Then the pivot stud worked it's way loose and began backing out. This allowed the fork to move farther forward in the bell housing than normal. When the clutch was depressed the inside end of the fork was contacting and "machining" the backside of the pressure plate. I had a pretty serious amount of aluminum scrapings inside when I finally got it apart.

The fix was just to reseat the pivot stud using an allen wrench and then find the cap and screw it back into place. I used just a tiny bit of locktite this time. ;) Some recommend against that. The real bugger, obviously, is getting the transmission backed out far enough to do it.
good luck
dr
Old 04-29-2003, 03:55 PM
jsaunde2
Racer

Default Re: Intermittant scraping noise from clutch (DavidR)

The clutch has approximately 30-40k miles on it. largely stop and go city driving.

It is a Mclead unit with single mass flywheel from DRM BTW.

The noise doesn't happen when the clutch is fully depressed, only when just beginning to engage. So it sounds like it probably isn't the problem you had, at least I hope not.

So what do y'all recommend? I would like to delay any repairs a few months if it won't cause me any real problems.

Jason
Old 04-30-2003, 03:54 PM
jsaunde2
Racer

Just to bump myself and give an update the noise hasn't recurred since Saturday.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittant scraping noise from clutch

Quick Reply: Intermittant scraping noise from clutch