C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Splish Splash (help me find my drain/leak)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 11:45 AM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Splish Splash (help me find my drain/leak)

So here I am minding my own business. Its been raining cats and dogs in the midatlantic, so I haven't been driving my 91 as much as I would like.

I took the car out last week, and I could hear the sloshing of water coming from behind me, most likely over the right rear wheel. After further investigation, I found the rear carpet wet, and the padding soaked. There was the normal small puddle of water in the corner of the hatch, but nothing unusual, no water pooled on the hatch hinge area, and no water pooled in the gas trap. It had been raining pretty hard, so I figured even my almost new weatherstripping was not going to keep mother nature out, and I figured the water would find its way out when the rain stopped and after some spirited driving.

I let the car sit another week, and it continued to rain. When I got in the car this morning the sloshing continued. Again, the sound was coming from behind me, most likely over the rear wheel. I tried shaking the car a little bit with some sharp turns and braking, and then the deluge! Water started pouring out of the b-pillar trim molding. Water was weeping out of the courtesy lights and was flowing out of the center trim edges between driver and passenger. The worst of it poured out in under a minute, but it continues to drip, and I continue to hear the sloshing over the right rear tire.

Has anyone else come across this? Is this a case of a plugged drain hole, or has this water found its way into an area that is supposed to be sealed? I'd hate to have to do a big tear down to find this, so anyone who could propose a nice, surgical solution would be a friend of mine.

As I mentioned, the hatch weatherstripping areas appear to be normal, as well as the hinge area and the gas trap. There is no water in the doors and there appears to be no water in the rockers or under the windshield. Some of the rain has been really strong, with giant surf in the gutters; I am considering the possibility that the water came from below as well as from the heavens.

Old 06-17-2003, 12:49 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: Splish Splash (jwg2)

I'm thinking if you have water in your B pillars, it either came down from the top (weather stripping between the roof and the B pillar) or it's getting in under the rear window. (near the glass hinge) Has the rear glass every been replaced? Could it be leaking past the rear glass hinge bolts? Just trying to throw out some ideas. The weather stripping on mine is cracked at the corner and has seperated pretty good, but it doesn't leak unless water is forced into it. With the amount you have and the fact it's higher up (in the courtesy lights), I'm thinking it's coming from higher up in the first place.

Quick Reply: Splish Splash (help me find my drain/leak)