C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ANYONE WITH LONG TUBE HEADERS ON AN A4 TALK TO ME !

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 08:39 PM
redcorvettedave
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default ANYONE WITH LONG TUBE HEADERS ON AN A4 TALK TO ME !

I plan on doing TC and LT headers for my next mods tell me how you put yours on to fit with the automatic trans...also how does the exhaust sound...the SOTP feel...heated o2 sensors???.....any codes...and oh yea cost!!!
Old 06-16-2003, 08:53 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: ANYONE WITH LONG TUBE HEADERS ON AN A4 TALK TO ME ! (redcorvettedave)

I don't have long tubes on my A4 but many posts are on the forum about this...

Don't know if anyone sells any yet, but from what I gathered in the past, the only way to run them was to get someone to fabricate you an exhaust system or run it non-street legal...

Don't know if that helps any haha, but if you want it street legal or not is gonna matter more than anything.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:07 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: ANYONE WITH LONG TUBE HEADERS ON AN A4 TALK TO ME ! (redcorvettedave)

Do a search on this topic and you'll find the answer and it not the answer your looking for :nonod:
Old 06-16-2003, 09:27 PM
reallycoolcorvette
Racer

you can run full length headers on a A4 car with cat. converters w/o a problem.

Hooker makes long tube headers & matching y-pipe for the L98 cars.

You may want to relocate the o2 to the collector if you go that route.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:31 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ANYONE WITH LONG TUBE HEADERS ON AN A4 TALK TO ME ! (reallycoolcorvette)

Didn't know it was an L98....... I know LT1 is hard to find if even possible.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:43 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ANYONE WITH LONG TUBE HEADERS ON AN A4 TALK TO ME ! (BowTieBlood)

Actually, headers are just about as common for the LT1 as the L98.

I have a set on my '95 from Exotic Muscle. I really like them. Paid $500 something with ceramic coating. Unforuntaely I did some other mods at the same time, so I cannot comment on the feel that just the headers will add. I have read and been told that headers on a mostly stock LT1 will not do much, but someone that put on the EM headers on their LT1 with the LT4 hot cam got a 21 rwhp, 16 ft/lb gain on a dyno if I remember right.

I ended up Y'ing the two collectors into a single 3" and then sent that through a generic high flow 3" in 3" out cat since I had to pass emissions at the time, but now I live in an area that does not require emissions, so I will be going with either 3" all the way back or 2.5" with a crossover and a set of Flowmaster 40's. I like it loud, so I don't really care about volume. The custom exhaust cost me $300, with the cat.

Other people stay with dual cats, after the transmission. I question how effective this is because I have my single cat in this position and I can still smell the HC's pretty good, so it probably is not getting hot enough to do much good.

I really like the sound going through the stock mufflers, BTW. Again though, I am not sure how much my unconventional exhaust system and cam play into the actual sound, but I am sure it would not be too far off.

The LT1 already has heated O2 sensors, so no worries there.

There are also no codes that will be set either.

Give EM a look, http://www.exoticmuscle.com or TPiS since I know they make LT1 headers as well.

[Modified by ninetyfivevette, 3:46 AM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-16-2003, 11:41 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ANYONE WITH LONG TUBE HEADERS ON AN A4 TALK TO ME ! (ninetyfivevette)

Who else makes legal longtubes that fit up with the cats as they are now besides Exotic Muscle??? :confused: And on those... did you get to keep your cats in the same place or did you modify it to single pipe as you did this? Might make a difference, I dunno... :confused:
Old 06-17-2003, 12:21 AM
jimmyd
Burning Brakes

I got the tpis long tube headers on a group purchase a wile back, They are the LT1 headers, But they fit fine on the L98 (which I have ) the difference I believe in the two is the Y pipe, Mine run thru the 3in Y to a single 3in magnaflow cat, then out another 3in Y to 2 1/2 pipe to 50 series 3 chamber flowmasters, cost was around 1300 installed, headers are coated, The O2 sensor is mounted on the left side of the header near the collector, on drivers side. I'm using stock sensor, so far no codes, and I'm pleased with the sound.
As for performance, headers went on same time as other mods.
My car is automatic, 700R4, fit was fine no problems, I did not run air tube from cat to headers, But could have, all other smog crap is hooked up.

Old 06-17-2003, 12:57 AM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Hooker and Lingenfelter both make pretty much the same set of longtube headers that you can use a middle cat under the car. You will however lose your pre-cats...(Which is not necessarily a BAD thing.) :D
Old 06-17-2003, 01:50 AM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Who else makes legal longtubes that fit up with the cats
Sorry dude, there is no such animal. The only option you have are shorties, and that is not really a good option.

Do they have emissions checks in Texas? The state with the worst air quality? :lol: Shoot, I figure if a guy could drive with an open can of beer and have a gun rack in the back of his truck, a pair of headers should be no big deal!

[Modified by ninetyfivevette, 6:52 AM 6/17/2003]

[Modified by ninetyfivevette, 6:53 AM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 10:53 AM
HOWSER
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I bolted mine up without cats. They run right to the Side Effects system. Let me tell you...they sound awsome! I haven't taken it to the dyno since the header install so I cannot comment on power. But my butt meter says that there is a bit more power through the rpm's. I can really tell a difference at higher rpm's.

I do notice a big difference when I spray. The rpm's really climb much faster than before. I hope this helps.

Eric

[Modified by HOWSER, 9:53 AM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 11:33 AM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: ANYONE WITH LONG TUBE HEADERS ON AN A4 TALK TO ME ! (HOWSER)

:lurk:

Get notified of new replies

To ANYONE WITH LONG TUBE HEADERS ON AN A4 TALK TO ME !

Quick Reply: ANYONE WITH LONG TUBE HEADERS ON AN A4 TALK TO ME !