C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Speedometer recalibration...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 11:34 PM
Blueyednd
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
Default Speedometer recalibration...

Anyone know where to order the speedometer recalibration gear. I'm switching from 2.73 to 3.54. Thanks in advance...
Old 06-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Blueyednd
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05
Default Re: Speedometer recalibration... (Blueyednd)

Hello, is this thing on?
Old 06-23-2003, 09:05 PM
smar
Instructor

I believe that 1984 and up Speedometer recalibration is done in ECU.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:35 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

You asked this same question on 6/18 @ 11:03 PM. I responded less than 24 hours later, on 6/19 @ 8:40 PM. Was there something lacking in my response? For review, here is my post:
You should currently have a 8640517, red, 17 tooth, drive gear, a 25513044, red, 37 tooth driven gear, and a 25007338 sensor. You will need a 8642620, gray, 15 tooth, drive gear, a 25513049, green, 42 tooth, driven gear, and a 25007339 sensor. Even needing all three items, this is much more sanitary, and less expensive than the "black box" correcter. Good luck, and...
RACE ON!!!
1984 Crossfire
Member NHRA
I guess I didn't mention that these are GM part numbers, available from your favorite GM dealer. The numbers come from an older book. Any numbers not still current should supercede. I hope I'm not too late, THIS time.

RACE ON!!!
1984 Crossfire
Member NHRA

Old 06-23-2003, 10:51 PM
Blueyednd
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05
Default Re: Speedometer recalibration... (CFI-EFI)

You asked this same question on 6/18 @ 11:03 PM. I responded less than 24 hours later, on 6/19 @ 8:40 PM. Was there something lacking in my response?
Nothing lacking. Thanks a bunch. Sorry I missed your post somehow. I'm getting anxious because my new diff is due to arrive any day I want to have all parts here and ready to go.

I have searched the net over and over again to try to find part numbers and you did it in one, ok, two trys. :D Thanks again. :thumbs:
Old 06-24-2003, 11:00 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

The second post wasn"t a "try". I merely cut and pasted, my origional post. It was enough work, that I wanted to make sure you benefitted from it. Good luck, and...

RACE ON!!!
1984 Crossfire
Member NHRA
Old 06-25-2003, 05:07 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Not meaning to butt in on this post, but could you tell me what I need for a 4.09 gear? I had the 2.59 and I switched to a 3.54, got the 15tooth inside gear, the new sensor, and the driven gear, so I hope I can get by with just the driven gear. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:55 PM
Blueyednd
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05
Default Re: Speedometer recalibration... (93 ragtop)

93 Ragtop - When I called my local Chevy dealer, they looked the parts up for me because the part numbers listed were different than listed above, based on 17" wheels vs 16" factory wheels, etc. The Chevy parts shop was very helpful getting the correct parts ordered. I don't know about the sensor. I was told I would have to have it ($90). The gears were only $5 each. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:48 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Thats high. When I did my 3.54 a couple of years ago, I paid $40.00 + for the 2 gears and the sensor. I got it through Jeff Koop at Superior Chevrolet. But I understand he is no longer with them. I used to see him on this forum a lot, but havnt noticed anything lately.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:29 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

93 Ragtop - When I called my local Chevy dealer, they looked the parts up for me because the part numbers listed were different than listed above, based on 17" wheels vs 16" factory wheels, etc. The Chevy parts shop was very helpful getting the correct parts ordered. I don't know about the sensor. I was told I would have to have it ($90). The gears were only $5 each. Good luck.
If you wanted them for 17" wheels...Why didn't you say so??? Only the driven gear would change, and probably by only one tooth. They don't list different gears for your origional ratio for different tire sizes. I made an assumption based on YOUR lack of input. I also gave you the sensor information. I must not be believable. First, ignored then, second guessed. I enjoy helping people on this forum that need and want help. You seemed to require neither. Why did you Ask??? :mad RACE OFF!!!
Old 06-28-2003, 11:41 PM
Blueyednd
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

If you wanted them for 17" wheels...Why didn't you say so??? Only the driven gear would change, and probably by only one tooth. They don't list different gears for your origional ratio for different tire sizes. I made an assumption based on YOUR lack of input. I also gave you the sensor information. I must not be believable. First, ignored then, second guessed. I enjoy helping people on this forum that need and want help. You seemed to require neither. Why did you Ask??? :mad RACE OFF!!!
What is your deal? Lighten up... I apologized for not seeing your original post and then poked fun at myself for having to do it twice. I thanked you for the information. I printed out your post and took it to the Chevy dealer and gave them the numbers. They asked me more questions, such as the wheel size. I didn't know that it mattered, so the numbers you gave me were not exact for my application, but I used your info to get the correct stuff. You weren't ignored or second guessed and I don't know why you've taken this so personally. 93 ragtop asked a questions and I told him what I did. Sorry if this makes you :mad . I thought this was the place to ask questions. I appreciated your info because I had no idea what parts to get or where to get them. I don't understand why my questions or description of ordering the speedo gear has caused you to have such heartburn. Thanks again for the info and my best to you.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:14 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

What is your deal? Lighten up... I apologized for not seeing your original post and then poked fun at myself for having to do it twice.
At yourself???
"and you did it in one, ok, two trys."
You have me making "two trys"
...so the numbers you gave me were not exact for my application,
As exact as the information you provided.
You weren't ignored or second guessed
I answered the origional question within 24 hours of the post. AFTER I answered, you, reposted and reasked the same question...Ignoring my answer.
I don't know why you've taken this so personally.
It was a moderate amount of work, which I was happy to do for a forum member in need.
I thought this was the place to ask questions.
Questions, you really want/need the answers to.
I don't understand why my questions or description of ordering the speedo gear has caused you to have such heartburn.
It wasn't the question or the ordering. It was the treatment of, and the value you attributed to my answer...BOTH times. Possibly, before you ask another question, you will consider if you really, NEED the answer. I guess, it's really myown fault. I just should have said, "Call Chevy". Or better yet, nothing at all.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Speedometer recalibration... (93 ragtop)

Jeff has moved up, but he is still there. His replacement (Chris) is very helpfull also. :steering:
Old 06-29-2003, 02:40 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Default Re: Speedometer recalibration... (Ramrod92)

The last time I called Superior Chevrolet, Jeff was in management prep meetings. I believe he has been made the parts manager. Congratulations, Jeff, and thanks again for all your prior help (future, too).

RACE ON!!!
1984 Crossfire
Member NHRA
Old 06-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Blueyednd
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

It wasn't the question or the ordering. It was the treatment of, and the value you attributed to my answer...BOTH times. Possibly, before you ask another question, you will consider if you really, NEED the answer. I guess, it's really myown fault. I just should have said, "Call Chevy". Or better yet, nothing at all.
I'm not spending any more time in trying to explain after this. Please forgive me for not giving more "value" to your answer. I thought that printing out your reply and taking it directly to Chevy was giving you 100% credit. Also forgive me for trying to make a "funny" with the "two trys" joke, it was not intended to be a reflection of you. Again, I wouldn't have asked the question again if I had seen your original post. I don't ask questions that I don't need answers to like I have seen here before like "how fast will an 89 vette go?" See, that was a joke if you read that post and the other 3 that matched it from last week posted by the same guy. Thanks again for you most valuable information and work to help out a forum member. Because of you, I got the parts I needed. THANKS, THANKS, THANKS, now relax.

[Modified by Blueyednd, 2:38 PM 6/29/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer recalibration...

Quick Reply: Speedometer recalibration...