C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How loud is the ZF with an aftermarket alum singe mass Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 05:58 PM
lspalding
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: How loud is the ZF with an aftermarket alum singe mass Flywheel (BAD ZR1)

I'll go 9.0. Sounds like the bearings are shot. I also noticed that it was different depending where you were standing around the car. Went back to a stock DM when I built my 383, and don't regret it.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:40 PM
larrybsp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How loud is the ZF with an aftermarket alum singe mass Flywheel (BAD ZR1)

Think like your driving a diesel truck. I've had people stare at me at lights due to the noise when I drove the car on the streets. Just push the clutch in and watch the look of confusion on their faces as the sound goes away.

Larry
Old 10-18-2003, 11:37 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How loud is the ZF with an aftermarket alum singe mass Flywheel (ered95)

Doe's a sprung disk lessen the gear noise any? :cheers:
I replaced my dual mass with a sigle mass. It does make the rattle at idle. The rougher the idle the more the rattle (think camshaft idle) That is why some people get more noise than others. The OEM dual mass is balanced to your motor, I think you can balace the sigle mass to match what your dual mass did. That would help. I have the HOTCAM and get quite a bit of noise. I don't like it, but I later did some exhaust work done and it helped mask some of the rattle. The hub sprung cluth did not help my noise. The spings resonate in 5th and 6th gear below 2k rpms under load and sounds terrible..so you got to keep the revs up. These are my personal experiences.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:23 PM
Mr6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: How loud is the ZF with an aftermarket alum singe mass Flywheel (TOO_HOTTVETTE)

My thoughts are that it is completely unacceptable to use the extremely heavy, high inertia, and down right dangerous, cast iron dual mass flywheel. I'm planning to put in a McLeod "magnum Force" 2 or 3 disk clutch and flywheel. (with 7 lb! aluminum flywheel).

I will try some of the noise abatement techniques such as some additional sound insulation over the trans tunnel area, and kevlar scatter shield blankets over the bellhousing and transmission body, and of course an exhaust that rumbles ;) . If that proves to be too noisy for me, I'm going to pull the ZF6 and put in a D&D performance chevy adapted Viper T56.

Old 10-19-2003, 10:57 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: How loud is the ZF with an aftermarket alum singe mass Flywheel (AS84)

On mine, when the engine temp gets warm and when the car is idling in neutral it sounds alot like a spun bearing.
:iagree:

Stopping it is only a push of the clutch away, but it IS NOISEY.

Quick Reply: How loud is the ZF with an aftermarket alum singe mass Flywheel