C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AS&M runners, ported stock plenum/base...Before I Buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default AS&M runners, ported stock plenum/base...Before I Buy

I've just been in contact with a fellow vette enthusiast who also has a '90.....I can purchase a used set of AS&M large tube runners, with the stock plenum and stock base which he FULLY PORTED TO MATCH the runners. Apparently its in outstanding condition, completeley cleaned inside & out....and powder coated. It even has the fuel injectors (which I don't need) and an Accel AFPR on the fuel rail which is also attached as one whole unit. I can buy this for $450.

Is this a good deal?

It might be worth knowing that I'll have to pay my mechanic to install it (about 4 hours).

With all the threads I've read in archives about the AS&M with varying setups on intake (siamesed, partially ported, fully ported, plenum ported but base isn't, etc, etc) I'm seeing all kinds of different responses as to what kind of SOTP gain I might expect. At any rate, this setup is fully matched together as one unit as opposed to putting different aftermarket items togetehr and slapping it on. So............with $450 + cost of a Mr. Gasket Ultraseal intake gasket + AS&M upper/lower plenum gaskets + $240 labor.......will this offer me some real improvement? Aside from doing a few more of the "free" mods
(IAT relocation, frisbee delete, etc.) AND getting headers/Y pipe & hi-flow cat,
I'm assuming a major chunk will be taken care of as far as the "butt dyno".
Does anyone thinnk I'll be disappointed with the intake upgrade?

There was a point recently where I was thinking SuperRam, but I've chucked the idea for my 6 speed, because: (1) the nightmare to install (read: cost) and (2) I'm very unsure whether I'll be investing in a camshaft upgrade.

Oh about the Accel AFPR.....is this a decent unit? Or should I forego it and sink about $80 in a Holley unit (since it seems to be so popular)

Thanks! :cheers:
Old 10-22-2003, 06:17 PM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

Received 94 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'08-'09

Default Re: AS&M runners, ported stock plenum/base...Before I Buy (bradvette)

I have the exact same intake and I can honestly say I shaved off 2 tenths with it at the track, almost 3.
I think it's a good deal, plus you can always build around it with headers and better heads and cam down the road.
I've read people running mid 12's with better heads and Cam using that intake.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Default Re: AS&M runners, ported stock plenum/base...Before I Buy (Mr. Magoo)

Thanks Magoo, thats great to hear, and almost 30hp sounds about what I've been hearing as well. Headers are actually nor down the road but right around the corner for me :D Now heads & cam.....that might be another matter, I'm not sure whether I want to sink that kind of $$ into any car (unless of course the labor is free :D )
Old 10-22-2003, 09:44 PM
Hole-Shot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: AS&M runners, ported stock plenum/base...Before I Buy (bradvette)

I would be curious as to how much/how well the intake base was ported. My stock GM intake was ported by Lingenfelter and they did an absolutely great job.

If the port work was done by an individual person, it could be good and it could be a turd. Get some pictures of it and post them. Also get the dimensions of the ports.

The AS&M runners are in my opinion the best long tubes available.

As far as the price of $450, It seems decent IF the port work is good.

Good Luck!
Old 10-23-2003, 11:02 AM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: AS&M runners, ported stock plenum/base...Before I Buy (Hole-Shot)

Decide if you are changing camshafts before you put this on so you don't have to pay for the same work twice.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Default Re: AS&M runners, ported stock plenum/base...Before I Buy (shotchkiss)

Good advice from everyone, thanks :cheers: I'm almost certain at this point cam change won't be in the future, keeping my '90 stock cam and heads as they are. What I probably will have done is 1.6RR's though.

The headers & cat is what I'll have done next, the intake I'll keep in the basement until a little later before a final decision is made :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To AS&M runners, ported stock plenum/base...Before I Buy

Quick Reply: AS&M runners, ported stock plenum/base...Before I Buy