C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Auto tranny shifter won't go into first

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 11:57 PM
alfonso gomez
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Auto tranny shifter won't go into first

My '87 Coupe has the 700R4 auto Tranny and 3.07 gears. No matter how hard I pull the lever, it will not get into 1st gear. Of course, if I leave the lever in 2nd gear, it starts in 1st and then shifts into 2nd. Is this supposed to be like this? If not, how can I fix it? The reason I ask is that when I participate in frequent stop-light drag races, I take off at a quarter throttle to avoid wheelspin, then I stomp it down HARD. But as soon as the car reaches about 15 mph it shifts into 2nd and becomes sluggish until it reaches about 3000 RPMs. If I can hold it in first gear a little longer the car will accelerate faster.
Last time I did this, I lost to a late-90's Trans Am. As soon as the light turned green I moved forward at about a quarter throttle (I guessed the car moved about 10 feet) and then stomped it good. It shifted into second gear and the Trans Am started pulling away (it had a manual transmission) in first gear. When I hit the 3000 RPM mark I started catching up but he beat me to the next stoplight by a car length.
OK. My car is a lot older than his car. He has a manual tranny. Somewhere I read that those engines have about 40-50 more horses than my car. My car has the usual freebie or low-cost mods (no cats, cut-back spark plug electrodes, KN filter with cut out lid, TB coolant bypass, TB air foil -I know, I know, Hypertech Thermomaster chip and 160 degrees stat).
:chevy
Old 03-05-2004, 12:50 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Re: Auto tranny shifter won't go into first (alfonso gomez)

First thing I would do is get under car. disconnect shifter from lever on gearbox and check movement of level to see if it spans the P R D 4 3 2 1 range , should be click for each position. Reconnect shifter and get someone to move shifter through range while you are under car to see if it physically goes into 1st. If not have to adjust shifter cable. If it does must be internal to gearbox.
The following users liked this post:
kenmohr (03-24-2023)
Old 03-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Q1KSLVR
Drifting

Default Re: Auto tranny shifter won't go into first (rodj)

First thing I would do is get under car. disconnect shifter from lever on gearbox and check movement of level to see if it spans the P R D 4 3 2 1 range , should be click for each position. Reconnect shifter and get someone to move shifter through range while you are under car to see if it physically goes into 1st. If not have to adjust shifter cable. If it does must be internal to gearbox.
I don't think that is the easiest thing to start with.

First thing I would do is check inside the shifter for foreign items like change.

A Quarter can reek havoc inside a console...

I've seen a penny and a dime completely disable a C-2 shifter!

Then do the disconnect the shift lever thing... :thumbs:
Old 03-05-2004, 01:00 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Auto tranny shifter won't go into first (Q1KSLVR)

First thing I would do is check inside the shifter for foreign items like change.

Then do the disconnect the shift lever thing... :thumbs:
I have even seen folds in the shift lever boot cause this.

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:15 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Auto tranny shifter won't go into first (CFI-EFI)

:iagree:

There are two potential problem areas with the shifter boot:
-folds get pinched and prevent movement to 1st gear position
-the boot is too tight in the front preventing full movement

If all is well with the boot, do the linkage adjustment thing. You can do this without even jacking the car as the linkage bolt can be reached rather easily.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:21 PM
MagikDraggin
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Auto tranny shifter won't go into first (65Z01)

I realize this info is aimed at the original poster and his mid 80's model, but this is the same problem I have with my '96 and I have checked the boot and the linkage and nothing is binding anywhere.

What now? It seems to me that there is simply not enough travel within the console itself for the shifter arm to actually travel far enough to engage first gear. Do I need to file off some of the end of the inside of the console to permit the shifter itself to move further?
Old 03-06-2004, 03:06 PM
dwestsr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Auto tranny shifter won't go into first (alfonso gomez)

My '87 Coupe has the 700R4 auto Tranny and 3.07 gears. No matter how hard I pull the lever, it will not get into 1st gear. Of course, if I leave the lever in 2nd gear, it starts in 1st and then shifts into 2nd. Is this supposed to be like this? If not, how can I fix it? The reason I ask is that when I participate in frequent stop-light drag races, I take off at a quarter throttle to avoid wheelspin, then I stomp it down HARD. But as soon as the car reaches about 15 mph it shifts into 2nd and becomes sluggish until it reaches about 3000 RPMs. If I can hold it in first gear a little longer the car will accelerate faster.
Last time I did this, I lost to a late-90's Trans Am. As soon as the light turned green I moved forward at about a quarter throttle (I guessed the car moved about 10 feet) and then stomped it good. It shifted into second gear and the Trans Am started pulling away (it had a manual transmission) in first gear. When I hit the 3000 RPM mark I started catching up but he beat me to the next stoplight by a car length.
OK. My car is a lot older than his car. He has a manual tranny. Somewhere I read that those engines have about 40-50 more horses than my car. My car has the usual freebie or low-cost mods (no cats, cut-back spark plug electrodes, KN filter with cut out lid, TB coolant bypass, TB air foil -I know, I know, Hypertech Thermomaster chip and 160 degrees stat).
:chevy
I have the exact same problem with my 86. It feels like the shifter is bottoming out before it goes into first. It will not hold first gear but shifts into second. I plan to go under the car and adjust the cable but havent gotten around to it. Please let us know how you resolve your problem . Thanks :cheers:
Old 03-06-2004, 03:11 PM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then do the disconnect the shift lever thing... :thumbs: I have even seen folds in the shift lever boot cause this.

RACE ON!!!
I have the same problem on my '88. I have to lift or pull the shifter boot up so it does not bunch up at the bottom of the boot, or 1st is a no show.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:31 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Auto tranny shifter won't go into first (cdnguyred88)

My 86 has the same problem and I;ve tried everything that has been posted both from the driver's seat and from under the car, yet the shifter stiill will not go into 1st gear.

Is it possible that GM designed the shifter to have a 1st gear lock-out feature?

Jake
Old 03-06-2004, 03:40 PM
86Moon
Drifting

Default Re: Auto tranny shifter won't go into first (JAKE)

My 86 has the same problem and I;ve tried everything that has been posted both from the driver's seat and from under the car, yet the shifter stiill will not go into 1st gear.

Is it possible that GM designed the shifter to have a 1st gear lock-out feature?

Jake
Don't think so, mine goes in albeit begrudgingly :jester
Old 03-06-2004, 03:43 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Default Re: Auto tranny shifter won't go into first (JAKE)

Jake,
It seems unlikely to me that GM built some cars that can lock 1st gear and others that can't. I know you have looked extensively, but I think it is going to take more investigation to find the point of interference. Is the trans origional? Maybe you're getting first gear with the linkage, and the valve body is allowing the shift. It has never been an issue with my '84. Not with any of my three transmissions.

RACE ON!!
Old 03-07-2004, 04:20 AM
johndezman
Racer

had the same problem with my 84 and couldn't put my finger on the problem until the cable failed. a new cable cured the problem. the inner "cable" is a tightly would helix and can stretch....when it stretches it becomes weaker and eventually fails.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:56 AM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jake,
It seems unlikely to me that GM built some cars that can lock 1st gear and others that can't.
Well, GM did it with some of the '93+ F-bodies. From http://www.f-body.org/oldfaq/html/faq/index.html

Q: Why is there no selectable 1st gear for my automatic tranny?

A: On cars with automatic trannys and the 2.73 rear (GU2) 1st gear can't be selected because in order to pass the Federal noise pollution tests, GM had to lock out selectable 1st gear. It has to do with downshifting into the lowest selectable gear at some speed as the car goes through the sound traps. With the 3.23 rear end, the required speed is high enough that the tranny won't allow a manual downshift all the way to 1st gear. But with the 2.73 gears, the car will downshift all the way to 1st when manually selected thereby increasing engine and exhaust noise. So GM had to prevent 1st gear from being selected on the 2.73 cars in order to meet the guidelines.

However, making 1st gear selectable on these cars is relatively easy. Lift off shifter cover, locate plastic (nylon) stop at the right side of the notched selector ramp, use a hacksaw or X-acto blade to remove the offending (square) stop. Then you will have first gear.
No clue if this applies to the Vette though.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:48 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Default Re: Auto tranny shifter won't go into first (JasonL)

Jake,
It seems unlikely to me that GM built some cars that can lock 1st gear and others that can't.

Well, GM did it with some of the '93+ F-bodies.
Interesting. According to the quote you cite, it is an addition to the shifter to block 1st and not in the valve body. Do you know if the cars with the blocked shifters had a "1" marked on their shift quadrants? Some how I don't suspect this applied to the "Y" cars, but...???

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-07-2004, 01:43 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Auto tranny shifter won't go into first (MagikDraggin)

MagikDraggin, before "altering" the console I would remove the console plate and drive the car.

That way you can see if it was the problem source or if the trouble is elsewhere. If the boot & linkage adjustment don't take care of it, I suspect the cable may be faulty, as mentioned above.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:42 PM
shughes4
1st Gear

Default no cable can shift all, with cable no 1 or 2. N kicks in@ 45mph@3.5krpm before OD

Originally Posted by rodj
I have a similar issue on a 1996 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7L V, with a rebuilt(ish) 1994 4L60E. There were a few issues that arose when i started the rebuild. First off - The linkage main selector lever was way too short to accommodate the electrical component AND the pin extension. I also had to replace the internal main wiring harness, as the pin-out was different, 'someone told me'... i had it.. did it.. didn't seem like much, but it worked to get the tranny installed with at least wires going to the right place... i'd rather be right for replacing it, than wrong for installing it and having to change it on the vehicle. Aside from frighteningly bad suspension and steering issues, I have a few more obstacles to overcome. as it was a 1996, MY ECM was the original one for the vehicle. I went through the trouble of rewiring it to meet the update.. needless to say that ordeal is happily over.

My biggest problems right now are three things( and i have a fix for most of it) , When i shift from the column I get Park, R, N, D, 3. I can't manage to get my shifter cable to select down 2nd or 1st. The solution for this fix, is probably - if i'm not completely mistaken, is a Short Shaft Clocking by Shiftworks or anyone who does those things. they are like 12USD bracket to help with the "clocking" of the shift lever. (INSERTING LINK DON'T KNOW IF ITS ALLOWED, sorry.. not trying to break rules --- http://www.shiftworks.com/4lx.htm ---- . The reason for this is because i had to exchange my extended lever from the original transmission (1996 4L60E) and fit it into the side of the '94 transmission. This was before i knew about different clocking in generations of 4LE's, which - BTW = SUPER LAME... sometimes i don't understand car manufacturers. Anyways.. because i used a pin from a different "clocking" I have to get the adjustment bracket, which is both described and linked above... assuming it works that should solve my issue, Hoping.

My second problem, is that before i had the transmission replaced- I had no 4wd, fixed that with a new actuator. Then, installed a 'partsam 4L60E transmission master dolenoid kit epc shift tcc 3-2 pwm 93-02 for GM' from "rainforestshoppingsite" it did not fix the problem in the original '96 transmission, which - aside from it not going over the speed of 45mph without N kicking in, it did operate somewhat...

After realizing it didn't work, after much frustration, i found a replacement, but it was a rebuilt '94 4L60E. After i installed my new solenoids from the old transmission into the rebuild, because i could tell they were the aged parts - i installed the '94 transmission -- i drove it less than 10 miles and the problem's not fixed. it actually feels almost identical to my '96 that had just been removed, it would drive in D, 1, 2, 3, in drive - heavy rev to move.. then at about time for overdrive to kick in, my RPMS are so high its kicking down the gears avoiding the shift into a higher speed gear. at 45 miles an hr i shouldn't have to be doing 3krpm i should be barely touching the gas. I've been over and over the forums and my understanding is this (at least currently) that its is my TPS, Throttle position sensor. a 16 dollar part online if i wanna wait, or 40 bucks at the local parts place. **i'm broke, so here's to waiting to get paid this week then try out my findings**

I hope my frustration helps alleviate anyone here's. don't bust any fingers when you aint' gotta.

I could always be wrong, any constructive criticism or advice is welcome
Old 03-23-2023, 11:20 AM
moodydavid16
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by alfonso gomez
I believe I have the same problem what did you end up doing to fix it?
Old 03-23-2023, 03:58 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by moodydavid16
I believe I have the same problem what did you end up doing to fix it?
He sold the car 19 years ago.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:23 AM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Interesting question worthy of a new thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto tranny shifter won't go into first

Quick Reply: Auto tranny shifter won't go into first