C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Head cross over coolant tube

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 12:50 AM
rtracy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head cross over coolant tube

Does anyone know if you can eliminate the coolant tube that connects the two heads in the rear of the engine? It's the tube that runs up to the throttle body that everyone seems to bypass. Can you just remove the whole line and plug off the heads? Thanks, Ray
Old 03-17-2004, 12:30 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Re: Head cross over coolant tube (rtracy)

That tube helps vent steam from the heads, pretty sure you need it intact. No, it's not the throttle body bypass, that is the coolant line that runs through the lower part of the throttle body.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:48 PM
93Quasar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Head cross over coolant tube (rtracy)

Do not get rid of that! I believe that is the only way to get coolant flow through the head. Most engines flow coolant through the head and intake manifold. (I'm assuming LTx block here btw) The LT1 does not transfer coolant through the intake. So it would go from the block to the head and have no where to go (unless it can go back into the block somewhere - I don't know, just thoughts here) I could be wrong, but it seems the coolant would stagnate and possibly cause an overheat.

The TB bypass done is the coolant lines that feed the IAC housing the mounts to the bottom of the TB.

Get notified of new replies

To Head cross over coolant tube

Quick Reply: Head cross over coolant tube