C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

DTC 83 Code?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 08:25 PM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DTC 83 Code?

I ran DataMaster today and I am gettinga DTC 83 code on my 94 Corvette with 4L60E tranny. It says code 83 is TCC Control Feedback Fault. I can't seem to find it in my 94 Service manual for some strange reason. Can anybody give me more information on this, and what I might want to be checking. Excluding the code everything seems to be running fine.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: DTC 83 Code? (rsafier)

DTC 83 should clear if you turn the ignition off then on.
Drive the car then check for codes again.
DTC 83 does not turn on the Malfunction Indicator Light so the only
way you know it sets is by pulling the PCM codes.

There is a solenoid inside the trans. called the TCC PWM solenoid. The
solenoid helps direct the fluid flow in the Torque Converter Clutch circuit.

The manual says if DTC 83 sets, No Torque Converter Clutch will occur and no fourth gear if in hot mode (what ever that means).
The PCM turns the solenoid on or off. DTC 83 indicates the solenoid is
either not closing or not opening properly.

If the code is a hard failure, check the Valet 10 amp fuse on the passenger side of the instrument panel. If it's good, reseat the electrical connector
at the transmission. If you see nothing wrong there, reseat the D connector which is the Blue connector on the PCM. Another think you could do is
ohm out the solenoid to see if the winding is ok. It's pin E and U on the harness at the transmission.

[Modified by Hooked on Vettes, 10:21 PM 7/5/2004]
Old 07-05-2004, 10:24 PM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: DTC 83 Code? (Hooked on Vettes)

Thanks! I did cycle the ignition and it was still present, although I still had lockup, I think I would noticed it flashing to 3K all the time otherwise
I'll go thru that checklist see if it comes back up. I also have to reflash my computer with a new update so that will reset the computer yet again, see if it keeps popping up
Old 02-27-2016, 04:18 AM
drifter5674
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsafier
Thanks! I did cycle the ignition and it was still present, although I still had lockup, I think I would noticed it flashing to 3K all the time otherwise
I'll go thru that checklist see if it comes back up. I also have to reflash my computer with a new update so that will reset the computer yet again, see if it keeps popping up
My 94 Corvette had this code. I changed the solenoid. Comes with wiring harness and plug that goes through transmission housing.

About 60.00 at Auto zone. Transmission pan has to be removed.
Nasty job. Wiring plug that goes through transmission case hard to get in and out. Had to pull a couple of things to get wiring plug back in. I cut the wires just below the plug on the inside of the transmission and pushed it out from the inside.

I was changing my fluid and filter anyway. Went back with after market pan with a drain plug and 2 quart extra fluid capacity. About 40.00. Will be much easier to change fluid next time.

My solenoid was stuck. Checked with a 12 volt battery after I removed it. Probably could have cleaned and re used. Stuck because of dirty old fluid I think. But the wiring was crystalized from the heat and I didn't want anymore codes in the PCM.
Transmission had no real noticeable symptoms. I just found the code in PCM and wanted to fix it.
I do suspect it was causing a pressure overload and causing fluid to get to hot. Perhaps just my imagination. I am not a transmission tech.
The following users liked this post:
don hall (02-27-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To DTC 83 Code?

Quick Reply: DTC 83 Code?