C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Accel 300+ ignition died?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Mike in Boston
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Accel 300+ ignition died?

I've had an Accel 300+ ignition with the accel coil for a few years. Recently (after a rebuild) the car would only start intermitently. As soon as I disconnected the accel ignition is fired right away. I was thinking it was heat related because it seems to start when cold but not when hot.

It odd. I can start the car with the iginition installed, drive 40 miles fine and once I shut the car off it wont start until I unplug the ignition (or maybe wait for it to cool down enough, I'm not that patient).

Is it time to order a new one?

Anyone else have similar problems?

This weekend I'll check the ground to make sure it's still in good shape. Other than that I'm at a loss.

-Mike
Old 08-20-2004, 04:20 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

When you say the engine won't start, will it crank but not start, OR not even crank?

Jake
Old 08-20-2004, 04:27 PM
Mike in Boston
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JAKE
When you say the engine won't start, will it crank but not start, OR not even crank?

Jake

It cranks right over but will not fire.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Boston
I've had an Accel 300+ ignition with the accel coil for a few years. Recently (after a rebuild) the car would only start intermitently. As soon as I disconnected the accel ignition is fired right away. I was thinking it was heat related because it seems to start when cold but not when hot.

It odd. I can start the car with the iginition installed, drive 40 miles fine and once I shut the car off it wont start until I unplug the ignition (or maybe wait for it to cool down enough, I'm not that patient).

This weekend I'll check the ground to make sure it's still in good shape. Other than that I'm at a loss.

-Mike
I have one that was given to me when it quit working. I took it apart and fixed it. It had water in it and a bunch of dead spiders.
I had to replace several components, but I got it working. After putting it on my '92 LT1 to prove it worked, I took it off and put on a better ignition system -- a stock '96 Corvette ignition coil and module. The Accel 300+ is setting on my garage shelf gathering dust, and that is where it will stay.

Tom Piper
Old 08-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Slow Poke
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like a moisture issue. I had the same thing happen several years back after I would wash the car. I ended up sending the unit back while under warranty and had the same problem the next time I washed the car with the replacement. I ended up opening up the unit and spraying it out with WD40. I bypassed the unit so I could restart the car and hooked it up the next day and it worked again. I later relocated the unit from the left front wheel well to an area behind the washer fluid bottle and have had no problems since. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:14 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Boston

-Mike
I had same symptoms. Had to keep motor cool by parking under trees/shade so it would start right away. i did have the security light and service ASR light go on for no reason.
I replaced the ECM and the problem was gone.
Probably won't solve your problem but it worked for me.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that problem with digital 6+ before just as you say it. But when I disconnect the MSD box and it will fire right up. At that time I am aslo having tach problem is pumping up and down all over, and ASR light on etc. . When I eventually bypass the tach filter and it fixed my tach problem and never have starting issue.

Bruce

Get notified of new replies

To Accel 300+ ignition died?

Quick Reply: Accel 300+ ignition died?