C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear Wheel Bearings- which brand

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 10:08 PM
RedZR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Wheel Bearings- which brand

gang,

I know this horse has already been flogged before but I need some info pertaining to rear wheel bearings.

I need to replace one on my 91 and thus far have found the following brands:

AC Delco- very expensive
Chicago Rawhide- from Advance Auto
Timken- from Autozone
Napa- can not find the bearing on their site- anyone know a part
number & price?

I am not near a Pep Boys- so that one is out.

My questions is which one is ok to use a street driven car that has 315s' (my car is a ZR1) on the rear? Is the AC Delco bearing a repackaged Timken (for example) bearing?

Any help is appreciated.
Dan
Old 10-02-2004, 10:11 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZR
gang,

I know this horse has already been flogged before but I need some info pertaining to rear wheel bearings.
Then use the archives! Honestly you aren't asking anything new or crazy here. The Timken bearings from Autozone (and what you'd get at Pepboys too) are perfectly fine and will work for all C4s.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:42 PM
93Quasar
Drifting

My local NAPA quoted me an SKF for $199. The Timken at Autozone was $149. I forgot to ask the warranty at Autozone. The Pepboys is supposed to be SKF too. I dug up the archives and there have been debates on the correct bearing. Supposedly the Pepboys one is, but there are also many early failures using them. I need one too and don't know what to do. I found this on e-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Supposedly OEM by the listing, but they say it is made by Precision. The wheel studs don't look right eigher. I'm leary.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I would go with the AC Delco or Napa. Never again will I buy from an unknown company. I went through two bearings after two runs at the track. I now have one Napa and one AC Delco and can smoke the tires at the track all day long. With the after market bearings I was fortunate to get my car home.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:04 AM
jsinga
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had $99ea from Pepboys in for about 3 years and over 50,000 miles and they are still tight. I check them with a dial indicator. From the posts I've read their are only a few companies making the bearings and the most any you get are OEM re-boxed.
However, mine have a lifetime warranty and I would look for the best warranty I could get.

JS
Old 10-03-2004, 11:37 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

When you install the new one torque the 36mm nut to;

166 ft/lb : Auto tranny
200 ft/lb : Stick tranny
Old 10-03-2004, 01:10 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZR
Is the AC Delco bearing a repackaged Timken (for example) bearing?

Any help is appreciated.
Dan
The wheel bearings on C4s are double row, annular contact, BALL bearings. Just like the front wheel bearings your '55 Chevy had. *I* call them "bicycle bearings". Goodness knows why they didn't use tapered roller (Timken) bearings. New Departure Hyatt is the prime manufacturer of this type of bearing, and original equipment on these cars. I am positive that the A.C. Delco bearings are NDH (GM). Look at the bearing, to verify. Timken is a very high quality manufacturer, but typically only produced tapered roller bearings. Unless Timken has bought out (quite possible) a ball bearing company, the Timkens would be a re-box. It is MY opinion, that the highest quality bearing would come from NDH, regardless of the name on the box.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-03-2004, 11:00 PM
93Quasar
Drifting

I went the PepBoys route and picked one up today. $161, lifetime warranty. I found the NDH stamp on the bearing ring. It looks good to me, and a lot better than the one that got wiped out by a failed spindle.

Originally Posted by scorp508
When you install the new one torque the 36mm nut to;

166 ft/lb : Auto tranny
200 ft/lb : Stick tranny
Scorp: where did you find this spec? My 93 service manual makes no distinction between trans, and just says 164 ftlb.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:04 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 93Quasar
Scorp: where did you find this spec? My 93 service manual makes no distinction between trans, and just says 164 ftlb.
You won't find it in any service manuals. It is information from some of the best C4 techs out there.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Wheel Bearings- which brand

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Bearings- which brand