C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Proper Launching Technique

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 09:44 PM
BlueC4 LT1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why, but for some reason, I can not get myself in the habit of launching the same way every time. And I feel it causes me unnecessary losses. I understand what you guys say about the track, but what about street racing at a light? Suppose the Camaro SS next to you revvs his engine at a red light. As soon as you see the green, do you just mash the gas, or power brake??? I feel like if you power brake, you will spin your wheels while he is getting away. I will get a 2800 TC eventually, (probably not till next summer)but in the mean time, I want to maximize my cars "performance". Can someone give me some insight as to how I could launch properly and get the best results possible? Thanks guys

Old 07-30-2001, 09:48 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Of course I never street race, but to get a consistent launch first find your best rpm and power brake up to it. On a slipery track or the street you will need to "drive" it off the line, i.e. press the accelerator instead of mashing it.

BTW, if you think you have traction problems now, wait till you have that 2800rpm TC in! That why all the guys at the strip run DRs with a high stall TC.

Old 07-30-2001, 09:52 PM
corvette dude
Instructor

now if only someone can answer this question for a 6 speed?

Old 07-30-2001, 10:10 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Key to launching a 6 speed is not to panic. Just make believe there is a cop behind you and take off easy and then mash it. In a stock LT1 6 speed, you can't spin them by flooring it(at least mine doesn't). The front end just lifts and you get pushed back into the seat and you goooooooooooooooo!!!!!.

Old 07-30-2001, 10:14 PM
corvette dude
Instructor

ASR off right???

launching the car at idle is the best approach?

sorry for the questions that may seem stupid but I am itching to go down to E-town and give it a shot with my new toy. Do they have times when you can go down and practice and not be rushed through the whole event.

Old 07-31-2001, 12:34 AM
Dr. Doom
Racer

Set of ET Streets(nice and warm, of course), dump the clutch around 4200-4500 rpm and then nail it. You may also want to pray that you don't break a spindle or a u-joint.
Originally Posted by corvette dude

[/color]

Old 07-31-2001, 02:55 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, in my car, what I do when I'm going to race (Wherever) is simple.
1.) Put it down in 1st and power brake it up to 3500rpm, to clean the tires off. They're only street radials so there's no point in roasting them.
2.) Put my foot on the brake and then rev it up to 1900rpm and hold it there.
3.) 3rd Amber lights (or flags go down) off the brake
4.) Count to 3 while putting my foot farther down, on 3 my foot will be on the floor.

I don't count to 3 quick or slow, I count 1 - 2 - 3 I'm actually still perfecting the EXACT speed of my 3 count. I'm trying to see just EXACTLY how far I need to walk it out before I can go WOT.

Old 07-31-2001, 08:34 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

dude, come on down this Saturday, it's the 4th installment of the Cartek Corvette Challenge.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:26 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo:
[B
Key to launching a 6 speed is not to panic. Just make believe there is a cop behind you and take off easy and then mash it. In a stock LT1 6 speed, you can't spin them by flooring it(at least mine doesn't). The front end just lifts and you get pushed back into the seat and you goooooooooooooooo!!!!!.
[/B][/color]
You can around here. I don't know if they just don't make roads the same or what, but you've gotta be going pretty quick before you can punch it without spinning in first. On certain roads it'll even get a little sideways in second if you're not careful. Of course that's multiplied now with my mods, and I love it [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Should anybody actually street race, oh say a Mustang, your best bet is to dance the line between moving and stalling it. If you jump too high you'll spin, in the case of a stock mustang it won't matter though, you'll catch up. Assuming you get off the clutch and get moving quick and don't spin your tires you should be keeping up with stock mustang anyway. As soon as road conditions permit, hammer it. You'll pull a car length on them before you have to shift into second. Just make sure you're racing a STOCK Mustang.

Old 07-31-2001, 02:24 PM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette dude

[/color]

You need to find the rpm you can launch at without excessive tire spin. Start at 1500 and work your way up.
So, rev it up to 1500 and let the clutch out until it is almost engaging with the flywheel. When you take off don't dump the clutch but let it out rather quickly while throttling up with the accelerator.
Practice, practice, practice until you get the right rpm for the road condition and tires, plus get a feel for the speed at which the clutch is disengaged and the accelerator is depressed.
With drag radials I can launch at about 3500 rpm's on the street. good enough for 1.8 60 foot times.

Old 07-31-2001, 10:48 PM
corvette dude
Instructor

Mr. Mojo I would come down but I am in the midst of a shutdown here at Merck. Ii is killing me cause I want to go.

One of the guys I work with won the car show last weekend at E-Town. Well at least from what he says.

Old 07-31-2001, 11:21 PM
corvette dude
Instructor

yea, at this time tomorrow there will be a nuclear warhead directed at every RICER up and down the east coast....

Get notified of new replies

To Proper Launching Technique

Quick Reply: Proper Launching Technique