C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clear Coat Flaking on Hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 01:20 PM
csc67
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a way to stop the clear coating from getting any worse than it is now. The only place it is peeling is by the hood emblem. Is it possible just to clear coat the bad area or is it a situation were you have to repaint the entire hood ($$$$) Thanks for everyone's time

1989 Red Vette
Old 07-31-2001, 03:25 PM
Daves90
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CSC..Sorry to hear about your hood.. If the area is small enough I would take some clear fingernail polish and touch it up. That should stop the clearcoat from peeling back anymore. Unfortunately,, I do not know of a way to just clear coat the hood. If it is peeling back I would probably not spray directly over that clear anyway. At the very least.. a good painter could "blend" that one spot on the hood with some color and clear so it would match the rest.. Hope this answers your question to some extent..
Old 07-31-2001, 04:20 PM
TrplBlk01
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO nail polish!! If the area is small there you could take it into a body shop and have them just color sand and blend the clear to fix the problem. The only problem is that if the clear is pealing there is a adhesion problem for some reason. Weither it's in the clear or in the color or even in the primer sealer. You can tell by how far down you can see ie if you can see the metal it's more then likely the sealer/ primer. If its just the clear coming off it may not be that bad. A shop may recommend that you remove all the clear do to any future problems. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Clear Coat Flaking on Hood

Quick Reply: Clear Coat Flaking on Hood