C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Changing synthetic oil.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 01:05 AM
Racer-X
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once heard you change synthetic oil every 10,000 mi.
Dose that sound right?
Old 08-02-2001, 01:17 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I'm no expert but I would have to disagree for our Vettes. I read somewhere that Mobil was commissioned to develop an oil that could withstand the high temps and hard working nature of the engines thus eliminating the need for an oil cooler. High temps were a means of reducing emissions. So given the stress on the oil in Vette engines, 10K is too much. If your oil is black and thick when you change it, change it sooner next time.
Old 08-02-2001, 02:51 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

holy crap....you're supposed to change synthetic oil??????

just kidding.
i realize that its quite a bit more expensive, but shouldn't you still change it like regular oil (intervals i mean) i plan on changing mine at 3K
Old 08-02-2001, 06:31 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I change mine about every 2500 miles. A little more expensive, but I get it at Walmart for a pretty good deal, and I don't mind. Helps keep the engine fresh and gives me a little more piece of mind.

Old 08-02-2001, 07:06 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I consulted the owners manual. There are two conditions listed, normal and extreme with change intervals of 7,500 and 3,000 respectively. On the Vette, it is not an issue as I don't put enough miles on it each year so I change it annually prior to putting it away for the winter. I have four other cars, three of which are also running Mobil-1. I change those at 5K miles. This is an easy number to track and lies between the owner's manual recommendation. It also justifies the additional cost over regular oil in that I run it twice as long. This mileage also allows for changing of the filter in a timely manner and I am less concerned about the amount of bypass oil. Think you are going to get a lot of "opinions" on this question, you need to either stick with the GM recommendation or select an interval you feel comfortable with.

Old 08-02-2001, 07:35 AM
wilb3
Pro

I am in semi-agreement w/Vettenuts. I try to change mine before it gets dark/thick. Plus using a high-performance oil filter like a Mobil 1 or Fram Double Guard will prolong oil life as well. It depends on how much you drive the car, the atmospheric conditions and of course the oil/filter.

Old 08-02-2001, 01:21 PM
jg84
Instructor

I pretty much agree with all that is said, in that diving conditions also are one of the most important aspects. Short trips, losts of idling, dusty conditions and heat all add up to wear, what we are trying to avoid. I change mine 3k, which usually is 1 per year, before I put it away for the winter. The extra cost for Mobil 1 or another synthetic is the additional protection from heat. If you do have a problem and loose antifreeze due to a hose, radiator hole etc. it give you addional time without damage. That alone is worth the additional cost.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing synthetic oil.

Quick Reply: Changing synthetic oil.