C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Road Walking 89

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 08:39 AM
Darrell G
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I. I have a low mi. (31K) 89 roadster that wanders all over the road and follows every groove in the pavement and just doesn't stay put. I've had all suspension components checked, & four wheel alignment. Everything checks out, but it still road walks. I have new tires, correct size (Yokohama). One person told me that it was a function of the tire and wheel (17")design. I find it hard to believe that this car was designed to handle like this. Are there tweeks to alignment specs that might help? It's a great car, but unnerving to drive at high speeds. Hope someone has a clue.Da

Old 07-02-2001, 11:40 AM
Mojo
Safety Car

Mine does it too. I think they all do. It's the wide tires. Just yesterday, it tried to make an abrupt lane change! It's fine on smooth road, though.

I do know that sometimes when the composite front spring starts to break down it will cause wander. Also check your ball joints.

Old 07-02-2001, 11:49 AM
sailrmon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an article in the August 2001 Corvette Fever that has what they call a "free fix" and involves switching some bushings and gives new alignment specs.I haven't tried it myself but apparently makes a big difference.I plan on giving it a try in the near future.

Old 07-02-2001, 11:53 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

guys i have an 85 and mine did the same thing. DRM recommended alignment specs very close the those in that CF artcile, and it made a huge difference. i used to have to keep at least 1 eye on the road at all times, even changing radio stations was an adventure. Now she tracks perfectly, just like any other car. i think the increase in caster helps alot. stock specs for the 85 are 3 deg positive caster. i increaded that to 6 3/4s. Now its a pleasure to drive.

Old 07-02-2001, 02:50 PM
Darrell G
Racer

Oops, i think i just sent you a blank msg. Do you know how i can get the info from the Corvette Fever magazine for more details.

Old 07-02-2001, 02:58 PM
AV8RSVT
Instructor

You can probably get the mag. at the mag rack at your book store. Aug 2001 volume23, number8. page 36 the article starts. A no cost cure for your 84-87's nervous steering.
Or the mag. references to the source of the article @ CORVETTE CLINIC Dept.CF 701-D Cornwall Rd. Sanford FL 32773 www.corvetteclinicinc.com Hopefully this helps.

Old 07-02-2001, 08:25 PM
emoshn
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm experiencing the same condition on my 92 Roadster. I read the article in CF but was left wondering if the fix that illustrated would work on a 92?

Anybody out there know the answer?...what are the geometry differences between the late 80's and early 90's. I'd sure like to go the alignment shop armed with good information to show them. Otherwise they'll just go with factory specs...and that apparently isn't good enough.
Old 07-04-2001, 08:35 AM
Darrell G
Racer

I can't seem to find Corvette Fever magazines anywhere locally. Is it possible that anyone would have that issue that could send me the aricle by fax or scan/email?

Old 07-04-2001, 09:48 AM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

What you describe is called tracking, which is normal, especially on roads not constructed of concrete. It is an odd feeling and changes can be mde on the suspension. the most popular is as described in the other posts is to adjust/change alignment settings; i.e caster setting.

I would also take the car to a reputable front end shop and have the suspension checked, bothe the FRONT AND REAR suspension; ball joints, control arms, upper and lower bushings, etc. Also have the vehicle "4-WHEEL" aligned.

Another question to consider. Was the car ever in an accident? did you get a carfax check? The problem may not be in the suspension but rather the frame?
Old 07-05-2001, 12:02 PM
89_FX3_6-spd
Pro

Mine only pulls for a reason, otherwise tracks very well. I am asuming your car was fine until the new tires.

Where I live here in SoCal, we have the grooved roadway in amnay areas and my car is fine on it, with Goodyear GS-C's stock size 275/40ZR-17.

We just put Eagle HP's (wider 205/60-14's) on the ole ladies Corolla and it sqirms in the grooves over 75mph. The reason is the treads pattern has straight grooves that get caught up in the grooves of the road and at higher speeds it gets a little odd. She was freaked at first until I drove it and told her it was OK. I also told her not to go over 75 in a Corolla, LOL . I recall the stock 185's did this to a lesser degree when the car had low miles, so as the tires wear maybe it reduces the phenomenon.

Tires can sometimes give a belt pull without any visible sign on the tire. I have seen BAD new tires, so do not rule that out.

Do the basic checks suspension alignment etc. and try the alignment specs mention and let us know how it goes. PLEASE post a follow up.

Old 07-05-2001, 03:41 PM
Darrell G
Racer

Have had everything checked, and 4 wheel alignment by a reputable Goodyear dealer. They find no defective components. The problem existed with the old original Goodyears and the new ones. The car has never been hit. It was a one owner car when i bought it, and i knew the original owner. I am going to try the alignment specs mentioned in one of the previous messages and see what happens. No luck in finding the magazine article in Corvette Fever.

Old 07-05-2001, 05:10 PM
drive it
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Since getting my own alignment tools I've played with a lot of different settings- Whats the caster at now? Try adding 2deg. to both sides and see where you're at. Also add a little more toe in on the front AND the back- it can also make a big diff. The factory recomendations are no where close! Usually an alignment shop will want you to sign a waiver if you go in and tell them that you want it set at other than factory specs.-thats fine, do it. Right now I've got about 5deg. caster on the left, and 5.5deg. on the right- slightly more on the right to allow for road crown pull. With it set there it only tracks on the worst road grooves and high speed stability is much improved-at 3deg. it was scary. Emoshn-increasing caster works on the later models also. If you increase your caster too much you'll have increased steering effort-but we do have power steering. If the shop leaves in positive camber that will also contribute to the wander. Ask for at least a half to one deg. of NEG. camber on all wheels. With that you shouldn't notice excess tire wear. Hope this helps-I've been using the Smart racing products Smartcamber tool for caster and camber changes. It's an invaluable tool and has saved me a lot of $$$ on alignments!

Old 07-28-2001, 11:25 PM
chamilton
Advanced

Originally Posted by sailrmon
There is an article in the August 2001 Corvette Fever that has what they call a "free fix" and involves switching some bushings and gives new alignment specs.I haven't tried it myself but apparently makes a big difference.I plan on giving it a try in the near future.

[/color]
Hey sailrmon, any chance you could fax or email me a copy of that article? I had a look for the Aug edition of the mag, but I can only find Sept issues everywhere. I just spent 3K getting rid of a lot of suspension parts to stop mine tracking, its better but still all over the road sometimes. Sounds like it is worth a try.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2001, 12:50 PM
RED90SIXLT1
Advanced

I agree with the more caster response. After rebuilding the entire front end on my 86, I had it aligned to stock specs. It followed every rut in the road. So, I kept going in and out one Saturday morning until it felt right. They weren't too happy with me but I wanst paying until it felt right. The guy making the adjustments actually drove it on the test runs and added more caster a couple times. After that it was smooth sailing.

Get notified of new replies

To Road Walking 89

Quick Reply: Road Walking 89