C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear diff fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 04:56 PM
stecz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm swapping all of the fluids on my '96 6 speed and changed the oil, tranny fluid, but I'm stumped on changing the diff fluid... has GM heard of a drain plug? My '95 suburban doesn't have one either.

How do you empty the old diff fluid?

Old 07-15-2001, 08:11 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There is no drain plug on the differentials. You will have to siphon out the fluid with a suction pump. There was an article awhile back in Corvette Fever on installing a drain plug. It involved drilling and tapping a hole at the bottom rear of the carrier just to the right of the centerline. Some here have done it, but I would rather just suck out the old fluid with a pump.
Old 07-15-2001, 10:43 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I use a miti-vac with a fluid transfer kit to get it out and put it in. The miti-vac and kit can be bought at Eastwood if you are interested. I don't like the drain plug idea either.

Old 07-16-2001, 01:35 AM
stecz
Advanced

great, I have both a vaccuum pump and a mityvac. I have a pretty good sized kit for my mityvac, so I'll see if I can use it to transfer fluid... Thanks for the hints...

The wierd part about this is that although, the rear diff fluid is a normal maintenance item, neither my factory manual or my haynes manual, mentions anything at all about changing the fluid.

Old 07-16-2001, 07:31 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I am not sure that they consider it a normal maintenance item. I don't remember seeing it in the maintenance chart. However, from everything I have read, overheating a rear differential is as bad as overheating the tranny fluid. I try to keep it maintained (changed) in both my rear wheel drive cars, the Vette and the Suburban.

Old 07-21-2001, 11:20 PM
stecz
Advanced

I'll have to check, but I think it's in the manual for the suburban... 15k interval, they just make it a hassle to do it since there isn't a drain...

Old 07-21-2001, 11:38 PM
stecz
Advanced

Just to complete the topic, I changed the fluid using a suction pump (even with that it was a hassle to get the fluid out, I then put about 1/2 a quart of new synthetic fluid in, sucked that out also and then filled with Mobil 1 gear lube and limited slip fluid.

Filling was easy, because a long time ago I ought a half gallon of gear lube in a container with a pump on top. That's what I use to put fluid in transmissions and diffs. Since I use different stuff, I usually flush it with a little bit of fluid before I put it in whatever I'm filling, but it works great, for instance, filling my transmission with motor oil took literally 2 minutes, instead of the 20 it would have taken using my suction pump.

John S.

Old 07-22-2001, 06:20 PM
JIM FL
Advanced

STECZ, On my 87 the plug is a 3/8 hex. I used a pump called a MR GOODPUMP which I found at a boating supply. It makes short work out of any fluid transfer. To refill I used a pump from the set you use to fill the lower unit on a outboard. I mixed the limited slip additive in with the first mix and then filled it up. I agree with you about changing all fluids so that you know the condition. regards, Jim L
Old 07-22-2001, 11:57 PM
stecz
Advanced

Thanks for the idea on the pump, I hate using the suction pump, because it makes such a mess.... it did the job, but I'd hate to do it very often...

Get notified of new replies

To Rear diff fluid

Quick Reply: Rear diff fluid