C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Thingy above oil sending unit...leaking??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 03:08 AM
Shayne
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is that bolt or sensor above the oil sending unit...Its shooting out all my oil....luckily I was across the street from a shop...so I left it and called for a ride home....I want to provide the mechanic with the answer before he works on it...just in case he does not know.....We have no Corvette mechanics over here that Im am aware of yet. Its on the drivers side...above the oil filter area...inder the intake manifold.??? I knew it...once I get it running I would be running back to my PC.
Ah well...alot of the repairs are fun...

Which one on top???oil pressure guage or oil pressure switch?? this pic is off an 85 and it has a bolt there...my friend says there is something there on my 86..which you guys say is another sensor...but I dont know which one..

I tried posting this but my replies to my own question is not showing up...dont get it..
Old 07-20-2001, 08:15 AM
Shayne
Pro

So you are saying..come in from the top and change them. I left it at the shop so they could hit it on a lift....
The guy that checked it for me said he was posative thats where it was coming from...he sprayed the area with simple green then I kicked on the engine so he could see it spill. But he had not the tools...so I had to fill it with oil and drive it across the street.....Is this a driveway mechanics fix???? I changed my starter myself...does that qulify me for this fix also .
If so I will pick it up first thing Monday morning....closed on Saturday for the local liberation day.

Old 07-20-2001, 08:38 AM
Shayne
Pro

Thats funny ha ha....No but thanks for your help...I think you just saved me s few hundred bucks....Im gonna pick it up first chance and go get the parts....Good deal...I was almost hesitant in trading my bike for this Vette...but with this source of info...Im sure Im trading now....Shayne
Old 07-20-2001, 08:52 AM
Shayne
Pro

Originally Posted by Sarkee:
[B
I'd check it out carefully first. And it is an '86, right? GM stuck different sensors on that little manifold thingy in different years; I got those part numbers off my receipt for my '86. If you go to an aftermarket store, make sure they know what you want.

...But I'd eyeball it first... [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[/B][/color]
Will Do....
Old 07-22-2001, 07:31 AM
Shayne
Pro

The guy that checked my leak said it was the one on top...but this pick just shows a bolt there...mine is an 86..the pick is an 85..from a Haynes manual..From what you guys are saying this one should have a sensor also...but which one on top?....a oil pressure guage..or an oil pressure switch?
Do I need it or can I stuff a bolt in it?

Old 07-22-2001, 07:37 AM
Shayne
Pro

Which one is the top one? This pick is of an 85...it just shows a bolt....but an 86 has something there correct? That is where the leak is on my Vette....so I need to know which one is on top...the oil pressure guage...or the oil pressure switch?
I just replied to this with the same question but it did not show up...so Im sorry if it shows up again..
Old 07-22-2001, 08:12 AM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

This is what it looks like on my 84:

(Click to enlarge)

The sensor in the picture is the oil temp, used only for the oil temp gauge.

The bolt with the wire in it above the oil sending unit is just a GND wire, no sensor.

Old 07-22-2001, 06:54 PM
Shayne
Pro

will double check it...the mechanic that checked it may have missled me...now Im on a goose chase. Or maybe I missunderstood him.

Get notified of new replies

To Thingy above oil sending unit...leaking??

Quick Reply: Thingy above oil sending unit...leaking??