C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Targa top problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 04:21 AM
Gromit
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few months back I posted about my problems with a replacement clear top I had bought. This was one of those deals where I had to pay $200 extra because I didn't have my own core to send in so they had to provide one.

So I ordered the top through the internet, had it sent to a shipper in Houston who crated it and forwarded it to Saudi Arabia for me. When I tried to install it, I found that I could not adjust it to fit correctly, front bolts would never line up no matter what.

I finally figured out that the problem was that the original top had been wrecked and it was warped. The first evidence I found of that was when I removed the rear bracket on the driver's side and saw where it had been driven into the aluminum frame by some impact from the rear.

I contacted Davies Corvette in Florida, where I bought the top, and they have agreed to replace it, but I have to ship it back to them and then pay to crate and ship another one back to Saudi. I'm only doing it now because I'm going to bring the top back in a crate as a piece of luggage to avoid having to pay to ship it.

In the last couple of weeks, the metal trim around the edge of the top above the driver's side door has come loose and sprung out. It's obvious that it was bent before and someone forced it into place and glued it. A few months and the heat here softened the glue, and it turned loose.

The point of all this is that if you're going to buy a clear top, you'd better have an idea about the condition of the core that they're using to re-glass it. It will probably come from a wrecking yard, so there's a good chance it's taken a hit. My case is extreme, because I'm faced with heavy shipping charges. However, I would not like to have to deal with this anywhere. It would have been cheaper for me to buy a brand-new one from GM and avoid these headaches.

Old 07-20-2001, 04:30 AM
GUMPA
Drifting

Old 07-20-2001, 09:28 AM
MTVette
Race Director

Received 476 Likes on 133 Posts

What a hassle! Love your hood ornament - gotta get me one of those
Old 07-20-2001, 10:34 AM
Mark 84ltblu
Le Mans Master

SE Ohio Event Coordinator
CI-V Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Curise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I remember the original post. Sorry about all the shipping expense but at least you now know that you are not crazy and the thing really didn't fit correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Targa top problems

Quick Reply: Targa top problems