C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Car is stalling! Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 06:53 AM
89AusVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking it back today, luckily I bought an extended warranty and my niece owns the dealership....here's what's happening, and I'm stumped. Twice in the week since I bought the car, it has started stalling. stalled at every light till I reached my destination. After sitting a while (30 mins)...it would run fine. Ran fine for days in between the two incidents. Could this be the ECM acting up? Damn intermittent problems are a bi$ch!!!! Would love to hear any opinions you guys have....thanks!

Old 07-20-2001, 09:36 AM
rayosequis
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little more detail about the problem would help. Does it give a check engine light ? Does it start up immediately afterwards ? Black smoke from the tail pipes ? It could be anything as simple as a screwy o2 sensor to a bad coil, you just have to start eliminating things.

Old 07-20-2001, 09:58 AM
89AusVette
Racer

Good point. No check engine light, no codes thrown. Thinking more about the two incidents, both times the car was driven about 25 - 30 miles, sat about 15 minutes, then upon driving again it started immediately stalling whenever the clutch was pushed in. No black smoke when restarting, and it idles fine...till the next stop light. Oh well, that's why I bought the warranty I guess....:O). Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-20-2001, 01:59 PM
Rich_01659
Burning Brakes

how about very dirty throttle body. can hurt to have them clean it while it is in the shop.

Old 07-21-2001, 12:28 AM
89AusVette
Racer

You got it Rich!! Seems as the car got hot, it would intermittently cause the throttle blades to stick. The coking inside is something I should know better about, I never have let one of my cars get this bad. Bought the plugs, wires, cap, rotor today, along with a new snorkle (previous owner was meat-handed and pulled the air filter cover screws right THRU the snorkle...it was about $50 at the dealer (was in stock!) and I found out there is a new K&N in there, so I broke even!!! Looking forward to getting the basics right on this engine. thanks for the ideas guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Car is stalling! Need advice!

Quick Reply: Car is stalling! Need advice!