C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ignition module failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 12:56 AM
Daves90
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atleast thats what I hope it is..I'm drivin home today from a quick 5 miler to the grocery stoer and the car shuts off. I coast to the side and it will crank all day but no life. You can hear a bit of popping out the tail pipes but nothin. So my buddy comes to bail me out and drag the car home and as Im crankin he hears a noise in the distributor almost like somethin is catchin on one side. Now the cap and rotor are brand new from Summit so I cant believe its that. Someone mentioned to me the ignition module.. I dunno,, Ill tear it apart tomorrow evening and see. Any thouhgts or pas experience would be helpful. Since its a 90 no Opticrap,,just standard HEI. Of all things I had to drag the car home with my FORD van,, so it was a bad day all around!
Old 07-21-2001, 01:08 AM
wheelsup
Melting Slicks

If you replaced the new rotor with nylon screw,then that could be the problem.The screws tend to loosen and back out.
Good luck with the problem.
Phil
Old 07-21-2001, 01:40 PM
mikes84vette
Melting Slicks

i am having pretty close to the same problem you are having. mine too would just turn over and over trying to crank and would go dead while driving it.. took it to dealer, the mechanic told me that it wasn' getting any fire to the plugs, duh! after checking the car and 3 days later they called to inform me that it is poss. a bad crank sensor. that's about all i know for now. i will kepp watching this thread and if you get yours fixed before mine post a reply on here about what the problem was. or if i get mine back sooner i will post exactly what the dealer said and done and let you know if that took care of the problem. we might have different ignition sytems. i don't anything about cars that's what it's sitting at the gm dealer now.

[This message has been edited by mikes84vette (edited 07-21-2001).]

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition module failure

Quick Reply: Ignition module failure