C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Still having transmission problems (4+3)....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 09:04 PM
vinny85
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am still having problems with my 4+3 reinstallation. I just rebuilt the o/d section, and after I put the tranny back on car, the driveshaft will not rotate (discussed in earlier post). I pulled the side cover off to see what's going on (still can't rotate driveshaft). When I pulled the cover, I can't get the 1-2 shifter fork(rear one) out? Since it came out smoothly originally, it seems to me that the whole shaft shifted rearwards slightly. Is that possible? If so can I fix without pulling tranny again? Any ideas? Also, could this be why my driveshaft is not turning? When I try to rotate rear wheel, I can see the shafts trying to rotate with it, but I can't figure out where it is hung up...If I try hard enough the tire spins (axle does not). So, there is definitely a prob in one of the transmissions. Any help is greatly appreciated...TIA,
Phil

Old 07-21-2001, 11:10 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm far from a 4-speed expert, but are you sure the 4-speed is in neutral? Make sure that reverse is not engaged. All three lever attachments should be pointing vertically.

When the side cover was on were you able to shift gears manually by moving the shift levers by hand?
Old 07-22-2001, 12:51 AM
David-F
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the time the 1-2 shift fork will not come out unless it's in second, 3-4 will fall right out. First make sure it's in neutral you should be able to see all four brass blocking rings if you can't see all of them then there is a chance it may be in or partly in gear. If everything looks good use a screw driver and make sure the brass blocking rings are not stuck on the gears. Some times a dry or clean blocking ring can stick pretty good in to one of the gears especialy if the trans has been up on it's end and banged on. If it's stuck use a screw driver to seperate it from the gear and try again. Also while the side cover is off look in side while someone tries to turn the shaft, watch the reverse counter gear and look for movement. If it moves move the reverse lever to the other position and try again if it then moves it was in reverse but if it still does not turn but you still see movement on the counter likes it's still in reverse you may have to seperate the units and have a look in side. If the blocking rings get jamed into the gears it will act like it's in gear.

David Fulcher
Old 07-22-2001, 01:07 AM
vinny85
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help, guys. I have some investigating to do. When the cover was on, I could only shift 3-4 partly (not even one detent I think. 1-2 would not shift at all. They seemed to be in neutral when I started. With the forks on, I can move the shifter sliders(?) back and forth on the shaft, in what seems to be a normal range of motion. Reverse seems to work fine. I can get it in and out of gear. Will look at the shaft closely when I try to rotate. Thanks again for the help
Phil

Get notified of new replies

To Still having transmission problems (4+3)....

Quick Reply: Still having transmission problems (4+3)....