C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

NO ELECTRICAL POWER / VATS ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 10:30 AM
85 BILLET
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAN SOMEONE HELP? MY 85 VETTE HAS NOT BEEN ALLOWING ME TO START IT . IT HAS NO ELECTRICAL POWER AT ALL , IE. LIGHTS, STEREO,
WIPERS,ETC. BATTERY IS BRAND NEW AND FULLY CHARGED . BEEN TOLD BY OTHER VETTE OWNERS ITS VATS SYSTEM . I HAVE REPLACED THE IGNITION KEY AND THE VATS MODULE . IT AT TIMES ALLOWED ME TO START IT AND WHEN I REPLACED THE MODULE IT STARTED AND SHUT RIGHT OFF . WHEN I TRIED TO RESTART IT I HAVE NO ELECTRICAL POWER.ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS OR HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM? I PURCHASED A VATS BYPASS KIT BUT I CANNOT LOCATE THE WIRE THAT GOES FROM THE STEERING COLUMN TO THE VATS MODULE. ANY IDEAS? AT THIS POINT I'M ABOUT READY TO REWIRE THE ENTIRE CAR DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN PURCHASE A FACTORY WIRE HARNESS? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL HELP OR SUGGESTIONS .

Old 07-22-2001, 10:53 AM
Husker Vette
Le Mans Master

I am a little confused..... I thought the VATS system that we have all come to know and love was introduced on the 1986 Vette...... did a few of the 85's have this feature??????

Old 07-22-2001, 11:48 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You can't find the VATS wire because the 85 vettes did not have VATS and you might have replaced a module, but it was not VATS!
If you have no electrical power, and you have a new battery, then you have a defective battery cable or cables. Take a 12v trouble light (12 volt lamp with clip leads), and see if you can light it by connecting from the jump start junction block to the engine block. If you can, then both battery (+ and -) cables are ok. Now you have a BIG job ahead of you because you have to check every fusible link in the car
(there are 11 or so of them). Good Luck.
Old 07-22-2001, 01:30 PM
85 BILLET
2nd Gear

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING BUT ACCORDING TO MY LOCAL CHEVY DEALER IT HAS A VATS SYSTEM . THE KEY HAS A CHIP AND I ORDERED AND REPLACED THE VATS MODULE , SO PLEASE NO MORE E MAILS ABOUT NOT HAVING A VATS SYSTEM . OR SOMEONE SEND ME E MAIL ABOUT WHY I HAVE A VATS MODULE AND A KEY WITH A CHIP .
Old 07-22-2001, 03:00 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just look in the keyhole
see if you can see two copper contacts on either side. If you have them, then you really do have VATS.

When VATS fails everything works fine, but the car doesnt start. cliuck click.
In other words, stereo, AC, everyting works fine EXCEPT the engine.

[This message has been edited by Vash (edited 07-22-2001).]

Get notified of new replies

To NO ELECTRICAL POWER / VATS ??

Quick Reply: NO ELECTRICAL POWER / VATS ??