C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pulling the Pumpkin

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 11:39 PM
Dean McManis
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting 4.10 Viper gears for my Dana 44 later this week, and I have my friend/mechanic pulling out the rear end.

Then I'm going to take the "pumpkin" to a local rear-end shop to swap out the gears, and my friend is going to put it back in.

For folks who have done this, or had it done, are there any tricks to know, or things to watch out for?

My buddy is a great mechanic, but he hasn't worked on a lot of Corvettes, so I thought that I'd ask the people here.

-Dean.

Old 07-24-2001, 12:18 AM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Pretty straightforward to do. You might go ahead and put some penetrating oil on the exhaust bolts/nuts and the slip fitting on the passenger side. Its also a lot easier to remove and reinstall with someone to help lower the housing from the car. But it is do-able with a good jack a steady hand and some concentration

Old 07-24-2001, 11:08 AM
Arisa
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dropped mine last Thursday night & will be starting to put it back in tonight. One of the easiest things I have done so far! Took about 2.5 hours with several head scratching sessions in between. Look at Vettenuts site. He has some good pointers. I can't remember if Hutch's site gets into removal or not but I would look at it also (if you haven't).

It is very simple & straight forward.

I got my gear set from Al (true Dana parts). He said to dry fit the diff. back together before sealing it with RTV. This is to check clearance between the ring & back case. My understanding is several have had to be slightly modified for clearance.

Neal

Old 07-24-2001, 04:51 PM
Dean McManis
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys,

I'll check out the websites.

I'm also getting my 4.10 gears from Al, and he also mentioned to check the clearance.

I'm glad to hear that it's not a horrible task. My friend is a great mechanic, but I was concerned about surprises. Sometimes the car manufacturers require special tools, or simple modifications require huge workarounds.

I'd like to hear how the 4.10's feel once you get them in. Mine are in shipping and hopefully I'll get them before the end of the week.

-Dean.
Old 07-24-2001, 05:30 PM
Arisa
Race Director

I am setting here at work with my diff. on my desk (damn I'm a sad case) anyway I have tons of room on the top & bottom of the main case. I hope the back is the same. Total cost with new bearings, $615.00. I'll let ya know how it feels!

Kudos to Jason @ More Performance for the work!

Neal
Old 07-26-2001, 10:51 AM
Arisa
Race Director

Dean,

In answer to your question. They feel about the same to me under hard acceleraton, however I am really enjoying the slap me back in the seat feeling when I nail it from a coast in 2nd.

Also I have yet to hear any whine from her. I'll get out on the interstate this weekend sometime & see how see does at speed.

Zoom...Zoom...Zoom!

Neal

Get notified of new replies

To Pulling the Pumpkin

Quick Reply: Pulling the Pumpkin