C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

how hard is it to replace the throttle cable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 04:18 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Mine just snapped off near the throttle body, and I am about to pick one up from the dealer. Is it pretty straightforward? Any tricks?

I thought that the pedal broke at first since that seems to happen alot, but luckily, it was just the cable and not the pedal assembly. $13 and I'll be back on the road!
Old 07-25-2001, 06:01 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Former Moderator

It snapped because I was stomping on the pedal to give a joy ride for my new boss after lunch today! I don't think anything is binding on the TB, but I can check it out when I put the new cable on.

Old 07-25-2001, 07:52 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo:
[B
It snapped because I was stomping on the pedal to give a joy ride for my new boss after lunch today! I don't think anything is binding on the TB, but I can check it out when I put the new cable on.

[/B][/color]
LOL...not laughing at you but I would get the same bad luck if I tried to act cool or show off my car..Id end up breaking/snapping something and looking like a total idiot.

I dont know how hard they are to change...just seems like a real pita where it runs through the wall and etc...kinda tight to work with in there it seems.
Let us know hw the fix is and how hard it was...

I will need a new throttle cable eventually..over the years they managed to rub underside the hood and the plastic sleeve wore away in one spot abut to expose the cable.
[img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/frown.gif[/img]
For some reason the cables arch kinda high under there.(on my 86 it does)
I think im going to sleeve mine with a rubber vac line to stop the wear on the cable sleeve.

Good Luck with it dude!
Old 07-25-2001, 08:15 PM
88L98
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill's86Coupe:
[B
LOL...not laughing at you but I would get the same bad luck if I tried to act cool or show off my car..Id end up breaking/snapping something and looking like a total idiot.
[img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
[/B][/color]
that sounds very familiar.
Old 07-25-2001, 11:17 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Former Moderator

Yeah, he was real impressed... it popped as we left the parking lot! I don't even think it revved at all... just coasted into the next entry to my work and pulled back into my parking spot!

I got it changed out. The only dealer with a cable was near downtown Dallas and I live in Fort Worth, about 40 miles away from them. Took me two hours to get the cable, and about 45 minutes to put it in. Removing the pedal was a must. Two 10mm bolts hold it on. It's impossible to reach up there with your hand where the cable comes through to the top of the pedal! And I'm a skinny guy, too! Wasn't all that hard, I just get bad headaches when I lay upside-down like that for too long. I felt the same way when I changed the brake booster on my '85 last year. But it's done with and it wasn't too bad.

Old 07-26-2001, 04:10 AM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I just removed the ASR/throttle cable and complete ASR assembly without removing any bolt! Am I the man or what? Probably would have been easier if I had though, took about 10 minutes otherwise.

Old 07-26-2001, 06:00 AM
Shayne
Pro

Run to a bike shop or hardware store and get some Dupont teflon lubricant...comes in a saringe kinda deal...great for running new cables and keeping it smooth..I got mine online so I no not exactly where its sold.

Old 07-26-2001, 01:58 PM
Warlock
Pro

I got an 89 throttle body which needed the 89 cable to work on my 88. Trying to contort and reach up to attach the new end to the top of the pedal is a PITA. I think 2 or three bolts are all that held the pedal in place...not worth the pain of trying to leave it attached. So, I say take the bolts out so you can remove the pedal and easily work with it. Only other prob wad the connector in the fire wall, I couldnt get the old one to release, so I just took a dremmel and sawed it off. Once the pedal was off and the connector was done, took like 3 mins to snap the new one in place and reattach the pedal.

Old 07-26-2001, 05:46 PM
nobodyunknown
Drifting

Craig Id love to hear the story behind the lighten striking your 85.Is that posted anywhere? Got any pictures?

Get notified of new replies

To how hard is it to replace the throttle cable?

Quick Reply: how hard is it to replace the throttle cable?