C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Paging Scorp Or Anyone With DigiCam..need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 02:23 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hey guys,
I need a BIG favor if anyone can get around to it...I want someone to take a few pics of their Charcoal cannister and the hoses and where the hoses that connect to the canister solenoid go to.

I replaced the canister and the valve and hoses and it seems to be working, BUT the GM manual is screwed up..noreal pic or illustration thats clear..

Haynes shows a black and white pic and its just like I had mine set up and copied, but the GM manual isnt showing the same routing.

The Haynes manual has a drawing opposite of its pic of the canister, and thats the drawing from the GM shop manual itself.
It doesnt show the lines going to the plastic vacuum peice that connects the lines below the solenoid and canister.In fact that vacuum peice is missing from the Shop manual all together.

Id like to see a similiar car to mine and a few pics of the set up if possible.
Just for comparison.
I installed my new hoses and etc the same exact way it came off but I want to make sure I got it routed right.

If you can do so, Thanks a Million!!

Old 07-26-2001, 02:52 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Is a 90 car the same?
Old 07-26-2001, 03:22 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by JD 90 383
Is a 90 car the same?[/color]
Hey JD,
I dont know for sure...it may be a tad different.
Thats why I was hoping scorp could do it since our engine bay set up is identical in many ways.
But if you want to go ahead you can..what else is interesting is the new GM canister I got is routed a little different then the old one.
It comes with instructions to change 2 places of the hoses if needed...easy to do because the canister tank itself says "fuel or tank"
and "manifold or purge"
on each hose outlet.

So you cant get those mixed up..but Im a little curious about the hoses to the solenoid itself more then anything and to the plastic vacuum piece that has 3 hose connections on it.Is no where in the manual.

Old 07-26-2001, 04:09 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

WTF is a charcoal canister? You tell me what it is, and I'll go snappy snap it.
Old 07-26-2001, 04:38 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

black round canister thing under your Driver side headlamp
Old 07-26-2001, 04:39 PM
BillRed85
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the coffe can sized black "thing" in the drivers side headlight area. It's got a connector and a few vaccume lines coming off of it.

Bill
Old 07-26-2001, 04:46 PM
Hendej
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a transparent fuel filter in the cannister line that goes to the intake. Guess what, that filter has turned black! Guess I need a new cannister. As I recall that area is a rat's nest of tubing. I can snap some shots tonite if nobody else has...

Old 07-26-2001, 04:51 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
black round canister thing under your Driver side headlamp[/color]
The Orb of Mojo?? You must not mean the vacuum resevoir.
Old 07-26-2001, 05:38 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by scorp508:
[B
The Orb of Mojo?? You must not mean the vacuum resevoir.[/B][/color]
LOL..no not the mystical ORB..its in the same location almost...LOL

The cannister sits under the headlight..its a black coffee can looking thing with a bunch of vacuum hoses coming off it..
the solenoid is a red switch with 2 hoses coming off it connected to the right of the cannister under the headlight.

Btw guys, if you havent seen my other post, my canister was FUBAR...When i took it off, black charcoal sand poured out all the vauum lines and I could hear it shaking inside when shook..the plastic can felt soft and was losing its integrity...

This is what I think blocked the tiny 3/16 steel vapor line from the tank when No air/gas vapors would pass through it..I think it got sucked in there and clogged it.

If you can scorp, Thanks a million..

hey if youre not sure what this stuff is, youre going to learn something new today.

With this canister and lines clogged up, my tank vapors had no place to go and my gas tank got so damn Hot I couldnt touch it.The cap would HISS like a banshee and fly off the tank out of my hand if I unscrewed the cap all the way before it was done hissing. Very dangerous!!
[img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/eek.gif[/img]

Get notified of new replies

To Paging Scorp Or Anyone With DigiCam..need Help

Quick Reply: Paging Scorp Or Anyone With DigiCam..need Help