C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transparent top--crack/craze?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 02:32 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep the blue/transparent top on my car and have recently noticed something that looks either like a crack or craze near the front right (passenger side) corner of the top. I say it may be a craze since it seems to be below the surface when looking at the top from above. Unfortunately, this occurs in the area covered by the frame of the top (i.e., I cannot look at the acrylic in this area from below or by removing the top).

Questions--anyone else notice this? Does GM cover replacement (I know it's beyond the 3 year warranty but the top is really a structural component of the car)? Is it necessary to replace the entire top (frame and all) or can the acrylic piece just be replaced (I would think this should be cheaper)?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2001, 03:01 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

You'll find that a certain amount of "crazing" or the "spider web" look is normal for the acrylic tops. It's caused by the small amount of flexing that takes place when you drive.

The choices are really to either live with it or replace the top.

On the other hand it is actually cracked through the acrylic then you should replace the top. I don't think there is a way to repair an actual crack in the material.
Old 07-28-2001, 04:31 PM
plumb95
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should see mine. The entire thing is spider webbed and cracked. It looks really bad when you sit in the car and look up. It shouldn't cause you problems like leaking, etc. It's mainly cosmetic.

Old 07-28-2001, 05:04 PM
R Cook 92
Instructor

My glass top is the same way, peeling and a few cracks here and there, It looks terrorible, but thats why its been sitting here next to my desk for a while, My painted top is better in the heat anyways!!

Let us know if you find some way to fix it for low$$$, I'd be very interested.

Chevy replacing it is a longhsot!!!

Randy
92 auto coupe.
Old 07-28-2001, 05:05 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

GM will not cover it after the factory warranty has run out.

Old 07-28-2001, 10:40 PM
LouisBarton
Instructor

Mine too. Plan to have window tint put on it next week to cool things down. I expect the tint will make the crazing less noticeable.

Old 07-29-2001, 12:43 AM
black85
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

My car came with this static cling tint material on the bottom of the acrylic top. It works pretty well. I only took it off once when I first got the car (about a year ago). It was a pain to get back on because it has so much static. My top is a bit cracked up, but you can't see it too bad through this stuff. You could probably use regular old window tint, although this stuff will probably hide it better and fits. They sell it a Mid-America I think.

Old 07-29-2001, 12:46 AM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by R Cook 92:
[B
My glass top is the same way, peeling and a few cracks here and there, It looks terrorible ...snip... Let us know if you find some way to fix it for low$$$, I'd be very interested.

Randy
92 auto coupe.[/B][/color]
Try this:

http]//www.corvetteforum.net/c4/blue92/targa_top.shtml

Old 07-29-2001, 02:57 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I am not overly concerned if this turns out to be a "craze" rather than a crack. As I mentioned, I cannot inspect it from the underside as the structure of the surrounding top frame covers the acrylic where the "crack" occurs. I can say that it seems to have gotten slightly longer over the last several days--now about 1.5" long and just one almost-straight line.

I think we should expect more for a car that stickers at $40,000+. After all, the top in the C4s is definitely part of the structure of the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Transparent top--crack/craze?

Quick Reply: Transparent top--crack/craze?