C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Weatherstrip rear window coupe glued?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 04:42 PM
plumb95
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if the weatherstrip around the back window on a 95 coupe is supposed to be glued down? Mine is just laying there. You can actually lift if off.....It's not glued down. The upper part is glued, but the bottom isn't. Is this normal? Is it supposed to be glued down. It looked like it was at one time, but I'm not sure. I'm replacing it next week and I'd like to do it the right way. Thanks again.

Old 07-28-2001, 05:06 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

As far as I know it isnt glued..I changed my hatch strip too on my 86 and just lifted it off.
It had some kind of soft substance inside, like a caulk or something and I just left it on the frame and pushed the new strip over it.
Didnt use any glue and no problems whatsoever.
Can you imagine the amount of work and clean up youd have to do if the entire thing was glued down?
Old 07-28-2001, 06:18 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

plumb95,
Looked thru the manual for 95 & no mention was made of glue for the hatch weatherstrip.
Manual advises to to position weatherstrip starting at the lower corners of the window opening & seating the w/stripping firmly to the rear body panel flange around the entire window opening. Thats it!

Old 07-28-2001, 07:28 PM
moffitt
Burning Brakes

It should just have some white goop on it, looks like grease.

Old 07-28-2001, 07:54 PM
Mr. G.
Burning Brakes

What you are seeing is the separation of the soft weatherstrip, from the vinyl channel.
You'll see this when you get your new weatherstrip.
The black vinyl channel that is now staying attached to your car, is actually part of the weatherstrip. These two pieces are glued together by the manufacturer and installed on the car as 1 piece. It simply slips over the edge of the body to install w/o glue.
Grab the vinyl channel (part now staying attached) that is on your car and lift it. It lifts right off. The white goo is grease, so the channel can move a little, otherwise the weatherstrip would rip when you closed the hatch.
Hard to describe in words, but if you try what I mention above, you'll see what I mean.
A quick fix would be to glue the soft weatherstrip back onto the vinyl channel with weatherstrip adhesive.
Hope this helps,
Joe
Old 07-28-2001, 08:19 PM
mshipon
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

When I replaced the weather strip on the rear hatch of my 94, that white grease was all over the place. I actually ended up tacking down the new strip with weather strip adhesive. It seems to be fine.

Old 07-29-2001, 09:52 AM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

The weatherstrip on my car was loose. There was white goop all over the place. I have read on several posts that the weatherstrip is supposed to be glued in the 2 corners only.
Old 07-29-2001, 12:22 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

What do you use to clean that grease? It has leaked down on a couple of spots on the interior trim and the pullout shade in my car. What is strong enough to clean it without damaging the plastic?

Old 07-29-2001, 02:59 PM
VetteWave
Drifting

I used Simply Green and wiped it down with water after it was clean.
Originally Posted by Mr Dave
What do you use to clean that grease? It has leaked down on a couple of spots on the interior trim and the pullout shade in my car. What is strong enough to clean it without damaging the plastic?

[/color]

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstrip rear window coupe glued?

Quick Reply: Weatherstrip rear window coupe glued?