C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

need a clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 09:03 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I broke either my throwout bearing or pressure plate I think at the track today. I will know when I drop the trans tomarrow. What clutches are recomended. Centerforce? Single or double? I use the car for Drag and sometimes autoX. I don't want another stock one, and I will stay with the duel mass flywheel.

Old 07-28-2001, 09:11 PM
89vette
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Will you quit beating that Grand Sport already!!!! I'll swap you my 396 stroker 89 six speed coupe (with new clutch BTW) for that Grand Sport and you can beat it all you want at the track.

Seriously though, I like my McLeod dual friction clutch. Great holding power and you retain the Dual Mass. Plus its not real expensive. You may want to call them and inquire about their dual disk clutch since you seem to do alot of dragging.

Jason

Old 07-28-2001, 09:30 PM
Red Rocket
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO the Mcleod street and strip for both the single mass set up (Camaro clutch) and the dual mass set up is the best clutch for NA heavy moded LT-1's that race every week.
My clutch takes a beating and keeps coming back every week for more. You should get two years on this clutch.

Old 07-29-2001, 11:20 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

My buddy put a McLeod in his C5, it was toast in less than a year. Of course, some guys drive better than others, but he wasn't the first I heard of having a problem.
I replaced mine with a stock clutch and it's doing fine. I know you have much more power and are looking to do so more work. I've heard nothing but good things about Centerforce.

Glad to see you made it home, it didn't sound too good when you showed me yesterday.

Old 07-29-2001, 02:26 PM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm using a single mass flywheel and centerforce clutch. As for holding power the clutch has not slipped at all, but I'm having a vibration issue. My new motor is balanced internally and the flywheel/pressure plate have also been nuetral balanced. Anything over 4000+ rpms results in a vibration felt through the shifter. This is also apparent in fifth or sixth gears cruising at 2200 rpms, and gets worse as the rpms increase. I gonna have the balance checked again, but I'm suspecting the weights on the clutch might be the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Bob

Old 07-29-2001, 04:10 PM
calvin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95vettski --

I am having the identical issue!

I just got a DRM single mass installed along with a new CentreForce DF II, and I get the vibrations occuring over 3500rpm, plus 5th & 6th give me vibrations at around 1500-2000rpm when I never got it before.

I am going to have the shop check the balance on monday. FYI, another shop balanced my new single mass with my old dual mass, so this is surprising that it didn't work.

Get notified of new replies

To need a clutch

Quick Reply: need a clutch